Safe Spaces

ShootsManyBullets

A thread about Cabelas made me realize the travelling hunter faces some real tough choices out on the road when nature calls or a pressing matter comes to the surface.

With the season being in full swing it's important to have safe spaces. You know places to stop on your journey to your honey hole where you can take a load off, drop a deuce, call the boss, grow a tail or whatever you call it. Here's a few of my go-to's when I'm touchin cotton a long way from home:

Cabelas - usually easy access to the interstate. Clean, not busy, and I can reload my beef jerky, energy drinks and score some cheap Red Head gear

Sportsman's Warehouse - similar to Cabelas but might have some decent gear. Definitely will disappoint you if you're looking for ammo

Scheel's - tougher access if you're dealing with a pressing matter b/c they have giant parking lots, and seem to be off the Hwy a bit. It's tougher to clench and run to their safe spaces. But when you do they're very clean, just busier than Cabelas. Definitely a good spot for some shopping after you wash your hands. Also a good spot for a gift for non-hunting family members.

Love's - Hit or miss on cleanliness. More hits than misses. Overcrowding can be an issue though
Pilot - Mostly dirty and crowded. Sometimes Loves or Pilot has cinnabonn which smell delicious. Access is generally easy.

Maverick - Probably the best in the gas station/truck stop category. Clean, good snack selection to refuel the fart machine, including burritos, good chew selection, decent access. Plus I can use a few of my buddies phone numbers until I get a few cents off per gallon.

Wal-Mart - total crapshoot here. Access can be decent near the HWY, restrooms are in front of the store so you always know where to go. Cleanliness and crowding can be an issue. Wyoming rates low on cleanliness, Idaho high on cleanliness. Washington and Oregon are awful. Colorado is hit or miss. Same for Montana. Nevada and AZ - dangerous. If this is where you're loading up on supplies, you might as well. . .

Lowe's & Home Depot - Sneaky entrants. Low traffic on most days, usually clean. Lowe's gets the nod here if close to the HWY b/c their restrooms are in the front like Wal-Mart. Grab some batteries, a shovel or some forgotten tools for camp and you're set.

Kum n Go - It'll do in a pinch but I'd better need fuel or be touchin cotton to stop at these 7-11 type stores

Loaf & Jug - Some are pretty nice, some aren't.

Feel free to add on - I'll be back with a few more. A few considerations should be - cleanliness, ease of access, crowding, quality of the TP, amenities like food, fuel, tobacco, alcohol, misc. supplies, etc. And it's ok to name locations here since these ate OTC tags open year round.

Mavericks are nice (except ours is expensive). Love's and Casey's are my usual haunts when driving across the midwest.

Scheels is the last big box store I have a shred of faith in.

Sapp Bros Travel Center in Percival, Iowa has them fancy Japanese toilets and is usually pretty clean.

i poop at the mcdonalds off snowy range road in laramie more than the locals, i'm sure.

Big D’s on snowy range road in Laramie. You could show up to go elk hunting in nothing but undies and walk outta there ready to go. 🤣

Truck drivers are filthy creatures and I go outta my way to avoid any truck stop. Take it from me. 9DF1CF75-3D10-4C1D-9459-BEC8A6DFA0D5.jpeg

Scheels for anything hunting/fishing.

I don’t go anywhere else because I’m a hermit so Scheels and gas stations it is.

Back