Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Saddle Hunting?????

N

ntodwild

Anyone in the Northwest try saddle hunting apposed to blinds or tree stands for elk and mule deer? I am just wondering how mobile this is for a hunter hiking into an area, moving throughout the day from area to area? I can see it being less work than tree stand hunting, surely more mobile but........how easy is it to set (time/work involved). Would it be worth it for "ease" of mobility in a known elk area?

I have zero experience with saddle hunting although I use tree stands in a known white tail area which are for the most part permanent & on private property we hunt yearly. The way I see saddle hunting from what I have seen and read is: "quick setup" , " mobile" and safer than tree stands? Also much easier to haul the equipment?????

Anyone have experience with saddle hunting for elk or mule deer? Pros? Cons?

Anyone in the Northwest try saddle hunting apposed to blinds or tree stands for elk and mule deer? I am just wondering how mobile this is for a hunter hiking into an area, moving throughout the day from area to area? I can see it being less work than tree stand hunting, surely more mobile but........how easy is it to set (time/work involved). Would it be worth it for "ease" of mobility in a known elk area?

I have zero experience with saddle hunting although I use tree stands in a known white tail area which are for the most part permanent & on private property we hunt yearly. The way I see saddle hunting from what I have seen and read is: "quick setup" , " mobile" and safer than tree stands? Also much easier to haul the equipment?????

Anyone have experience with saddle hunting for elk or mule deer? Pros? Cons?

I had to google what the hell saddle hunting was haha sorry I'm of no help. Seems like a lightweight alternative for a treestand, or just get yourself a lone wolf hand climber.

I'm biased on tree stands tho, I'd use em over crops fields for whitetails and that's about it. This year on our elk hunt we were debating about using tree stands and the final verdict was we'd rather have blown stalks and not kill one than be bored out of our minds hunting them like whitetails.

Check out the conversation on this post:

As far as using the saddle and whatever climbing rig you choose it’s no different than using them for Whitetail. I think you have two questions here. 1) what is the efficacy of using a saddle over a tree stand and 2)what is the efficacy of using a tree stand for elk and mule deer.
1) Saddle hunting shines where the mobile Hunter is concerned. I am new to saddle hunting and I do not feel like I am that fast but I can climb and get completely set up in under 10 minutes. I am not trying to be extremely fast because I don’t want to sweat too much, it’s hot where I hunt. If you want light weight and extreme mobility saddle hunting is where it is at.
2) Is it a good tactic for mule deer/elk? That is highly debatable and you would have to be in just the right situation. I killed an elk out of a tree stand once and have killed a couple of mule deer out of a tree stand. If you have some defined trails that are actively used or wallows to sit over, a saddle will work anywhere a tree stand would. If you are not in the right spot you will subject yourself to days of boredom looking at empty forests, been there done that when I should have been out spot and stalking. That being said I know of some great elk wallows waaay in the back country that will probably find me hanging near them in a saddle in the next few seasons.
And all my tree stand elk/Mulie hunting has been in CO, never been to northwest US at all.

Last edited:
As far as using the saddle and whatever climbing rig you choose it’s no different than using them for Whitetail. I think you have two questions here. 1) what is the efficacy of using a saddle over a tree stand and 2)what is the efficacy of using a tree stand for elk and mule deer.
1) Saddle hunting shines where the mobile Hunter is concerned. I am new to saddle hunting and I do not feel like I am that fast but I can climb and get completely set up in under 10 minutes. I am not trying to be extremely fast because I don’t want to sweat too much, it’s hot where I hunt. If you want light weight and extreme mobility saddle hunting is where it is at.
2) Is it a good tactic for mule deer/elk? That is highly debatable and you would have to be in just the right situation. I killed an elk out of a tree stand once and have killed a couple of mule deer out of a tree stand. If you have some defined trails that are actively used or wallows to sit over, a saddle will work anywhere a tree stand would. If you are not in the right spot you will subject yourself to days of boredom looking at empty forests, been there done that when I should have been out spot and stalking. That being said I know of some great elk wallows waaay in the back country that will probably find me hanging near them in a saddle in the next few seasons.
Ill echo Kip. I have been saddle hunting the past 2 seasons for whitetail. Pretty sweet game changer. I actually have a buddy who is about to release a very awesome run n gun lock-on with some sticks that I will also be trying. Lots of great options out there.

I have been kicking myself that I didn't take either of my saddles this year when we went to Idaho for elk. Multiple times I would have had an opportunity to fill a tag if I was in my saddle. We were very early and the weather kept them in dark timber and on water.

Im leaving for AZ on the 12th, and there is a very big chance I will take my mobile set up with me.

I had to google what the hell saddle hunting was haha sorry I'm of no help. Seems like a lightweight alternative for a treestand, or just get yourself a lone wolf hand climber.

I'm biased on tree stands tho, I'd use em over crops fields for whitetails and that's about it. This year on our elk hunt we were debating about using tree stands and the final verdict was we'd rather have blown stalks and not kill one than be bored out of our minds hunting them like whitetails.

I have hunted elk for over 30 years primarily "natural" ground blinds (in known scouted areas) or spot and stalk, never out of a tree stand although I have plenty of friends who are successful from tree stands in the northwest. Much of this is really about proper scouting otherwise tree stands can be a waist of time here in the northwest for elk. As an early retiree the saddle hunting option for a well scouted area (deep into the back country) could be an interesting lightweight option and it is why I am asking. 4 years now in the same backcountry area with 3 years of success, tons of scouting and a very good feel for the area and animal movement has me considering this. I would never pack a tree stand into this area but a saddle system would be an option. My partner and I have built several natural ground blinds of which 3 have been successful and all have produced elk via game cams. Saddle systems may be an option but without any experience I would hate to spend the money on something and find out it's more of a "pain in the #$@". no pun intended :)

And all my tree stand elk/Mulie hunting has been in CO, never been to northwest US at all.

I guess it would be much like any other stand or ground blind. (scouting is almost 100% of the battle). My favorite way of hunting elk "IF" I have done my homework is natural built ground blinds. It allows a hunter to be mobile quick if you take a shot and need to follow up with a stalk or nothing is produced and you get board. I have over 20 elk kills in a natural ground blind but once again it's about scouting. Setting a ground blind in an un-scouted area is like flipping a coin. Same with a tree stand. Much of the work happens prior to the hunt. As stated in a reply to another post. My partner and I have a well scouted and hunted backcountry area we have been very successful in over the past 4 seasons. I just wonder if it would be worth the time and money to invest in a saddle system. The thing I can see being an issue is in the northwest forest trees would require a ton of limbing to place a stand or climb with a saddle system so it may not be the most effective. Firs, Cedars and spruce don't make it easy. I could see where ladders or climbing sticks in some cases may not even be necessary, just some simple trimming. climbing would require two lineman belts/ropes in order to stay connected at all times while climbing to get around some of the branches/limbs so that may be a consideration?Maybe I am over thinking things???

I just wonder if it would be worth the time and money to invest in a saddle system. The thing I can see being an issue is in the northwest forest trees would require a ton of limbing to place a stand or climb with a saddle system so it may not be the most effective. Firs, Cedars and spruce don't make it easy. I could see where ladders or climbing sticks in some cases may not even be necessary, just some simple trimming. climbing would require two lineman belts/ropes in order to stay connected at all times while climbing to get around some of the branches/limbs so that may be a consideration?Maybe I am over thinking things???
They are an investment for sure, and cost more than the should imo, for most treestand whitetail guys we’re using them in place of multiple sets so looking at it like that the cost is a wash. I dont think you’re overthinking the limb aspect. That is something I don’t have to deal with in my oak dominated areas. Too much cover would be the problem for sure whereas I struggle to find enough cover, and it would bmake for more than a 10 minute setup. I’ve hunted a few trees in Colorado where I was able to get pretty high using only a couple strap on steps because of so many limbs, but once you got set up in there You could do jumping jacks and they wouldn’t pick you out! As far as lineman belts I’m pretty cavalier about not using them, if they’re are lots of limbs they just get in the way and complicate the climb. Have a well scouted place like you have sure can save some boot leather if you have the patience to sit!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back