Rust Protection

Jmnhunter

Is there a protectant out there that can be sprayed to the wheel wells, cab corners, etc? the only stuff I can seem to find is stuff you spray on already rusted areas or on bare metal, but being I finally own a vehicle does not have any rust and I live in arguably the most salted roads in the US-- I would like to know if theres a way I can coat these areas with some type of sealant to help further protection.
thanks!

www.steel-it.com

This stuff is really good but it may be overkill for what you’re looking for. We use it on our desert race car chassis’s. Totally eliminates rust. You can weld right over it but that probably won’t apply yo your application. In Baja they use salt water to water down the race course as well as dirt roads. On a 1000 mile race it becomes a chassis killer.

I use berkebile PFC. It is a great product and doesn’t wash off. Pennsylvania uses a insane amount of salt on the roads so I have always sprayed me vehicles. I remove my taillights to spray up into the bedsides and remove inner wheel wells. They make a spray gun and attachment as well that is for spraying in your doors. You just remove the plugs in the bottom of the door and the special hose goes up inside.

Most of your rust isn’t going to start externally on the paint. That’s just were you first notice it. Mostly it begins by building up on the backside of the body and slowly eats its way through. That is why you see your paint bubbling before the rust shows itself. Just my opinion.

Fluid-film is good stuff. It's lanolin based (oil from sheep wool) so it's not toxic and it lasts a long time. I've been told by multiple tractor company reps that they spray the whole tractor down with it before it's shipped out of the factory. Plastic safe too unlike some petroleum based stuff.

Last edited:
I was just reading up on this the other day. Woolwax and Fluid Film were both also highly recommended products.

I was just reading up on this the other day. Woolwax and Fluid Film were both also highly recommended products.
I used this last year and have no complaints. I got a 6 pack of the shaker cans on Amazon that came with a long hose to spray inside the frame. The reviews all seem good.

Fluid film. You csn buy it by the galon and a air gun with a canister. Stuffs awesome. Also!
Change you own oil, take the used oil, drill holes inside your door(rockers) and in step sides. Fill them up. Most corrosion in both places comes from inside i feel like. This eliminates that.
You can buy plugs for certain sized holes. Never rot out again. I did it with my 2006 and it was spotless

You guys find that the fluid film really holds the mud/dust?

I had a Chevy undercoated and I never could get the red clay color off the frame.

You guys find that the fluid film really holds the mud/dust?

I had a Chevy undercoated and I never could get the red clay color off the frame.
That maybe just a red clay characteristic--there are some mine pits near here that bikers/vehicles go to and that stuff takes forever to come off

That maybe just a red clay characteristic--there are some mine pits near here that bikers/vehicles go to and that stuff takes forever to come off

It was more of a waxy type coating. I haven’t had the issue with my new Tacoma that doesn’t have any undercoating.

Gotta love that red color..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back