Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Running Rabbits

Well this past Saturday was the last day of Rabbit season here in Maryland. The 2020 season marked the first season in 15 years since I hunted with my own dogs. Through circumstance and a wife who loathes beagles (I’m working on that) I was out of the hound game.

Once my son was born, I told her I was getting a beagle puppy. Then that turned into two. We spent as much time in the woods as possible leading up to the season. Between the property I have access to and the limited time to hunt I didn’t get out as much as I would have liked but that’s how it goes. The dogs have come a long way since opening day. We probably shot a dozen or so bunnies over them. I just can’t wait to keep running them over the off season to get them better and better.

if you’ve never hunted rabbits with dogs, give it a shot. I promise you, you’ll get a rush you never thought you could have hunting small game.

tally ho!

-Zach

Attachments

• 4E2B4DC5-75B2-4F07-90B3-6212D97917BC.jpeg
    4E2B4DC5-75B2-4F07-90B3-6212D97917BC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
Ive never owned Beagles, just pointers that we broke from running rabbits. That being said Ive had the opportunity to hunt rabbits with beagles several times. There just is nothing much more enjoyable then hearing a beagle baying. Glad you’re able to get out and chase them.

We have decent hare hunting in NY, there is still a good population in the Adirondacks. My happy place though is camp on the NH/Maine line. We run till we are tried of listening to them.
I don’t know if I could ever get tired of listening to a hound train burn up a rabbit. It’s better than any music I’ve ever heard

-Z

Rabbit is my favorite meat and I grew up hunting with beagles. It is an awesome way to introduce new hunters into the sport of hunting because of the action. We need more young successional growth in our forests.

Very well done! Growing up my dad and grandpa always had some beagles. Not enough rabbits around anymore for me to consider getting into some, but would love to take my boys on a chase or two sometime.

PS- I did shoot a rabbit this year that my bird dog flushed and he even brought it back to me. That was convenient. :D

Very well done! Growing up my dad and grandpa always had some beagles. Not enough rabbits around anymore for me to consider getting into some, but would love to take my boys on a chase or two sometime.

PS- I did shoot a rabbit this year that my bird dog flushed and he even brought it back to me. That was convenient. :D
I think we are all seeing a decline in rabbits. Coyotes and birds of prey are putting a hurting on them around me.

-Z

it took persistence and at the end I just got them. “Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission 🤣

-Z
I’ve used that logic more then once. My now wife told me when we were dating that if I went on another western hunt before she got a ring we were done. So I did the logical thing and scheduled an Alaskan moose hunt with my 2 brothers and dad. She must of forgave me because we’ve been married for 8 years and 2 kids now!

I’ve used that logic more then once. My now wife told me when we were dating that if I went on another western hunt before she got a ring we were done. So I did the logical thing and scheduled an Alaskan moose hunt with my 2 brothers and dad. She must of forgave me because we’ve been married for 8 years and 2 kids now!

it’s good to put them to the test. They wouldn’t really stand in front of you chasing your passion would they? Not if they’re “the one”

-Z

I had beagles for 25 years. Typically kept 2-3 all the time and at one time we had as many as ten. Had a great old timer hunting buddy that wheeled and dealed dogs all the time so we were always trying out a new one. For some reason, my interest started leaning more heavily towards deer hunting and I got away from the hounds. Gave away the last two I had to a kid, as I wasn't getting them enough time in the woods.

Now I've got a buddy that keeps a pack of beagles and I get my rabbit running "fix" a few times each winter tagging along with him. It's a great sport and a really good way to get kids started hunting. Rabbits are also pretty tasty table fare.

I had beagles for 25 years. Typically kept 2-3 all the time and at one time we had as many as ten. Had a great old timer hunting buddy that wheeled and dealed dogs all the time so we were always trying out a new one. For some reason, my interest started leaning more heavily towards deer hunting and I got away from the hounds. Gave away the last two I had to a kid, as I wasn't getting them enough time in the woods.

Now I've got a buddy that keeps a pack of beagles and I get my rabbit running "fix" a few times each winter tagging along with him. It's a great sport and a really good way to get kids started hunting. Rabbits are also pretty tasty table fare.

I gotta tell you, I had the rabbit bug bite me when I was younger hunting with my buddy and his dad. Now I’m at a point where I’d rather run my dogs than go deer hunting.

Z

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back