PEAX Equipment

running out of ammo...

Saint Gunner

I have to relate one of this seasons biggest follies to you guys. Here in Texas where I live hogs are a pain in the butt, we treat em like rats, kill everyone we can. Well on a recent job I had my .308 along it's rigged up with a choate tactical and and bipod and zeroed for 375yds. I couldn't get a clean shot because of grass and such on two hogs rooting in a pasture so I decided to put a sneak on em. I crawled about 200yds across an open field through water and muck to get within 100yds of one. As she was coming towards me I put a 168gr sierra through her noggin, she dropped like a rock. The other sow was a bit farther off and running and I decided to try it. I swung and fired from the prone and hit her way back, she dropped out of sight so I had to come to kneeling to find her, my next shot missed her head and clipped her front leg, The third shot at her caught her right in the ear but missing any brain because she was headed away. I chambered what I thought was my last round and heard a click, only four in the magazine. I jumped up at took off after her, the first shot had gotten part of her rear leg on exit and she was slow. So I was gaining on her, about 30yds from the brush this 125lb sow decides to chase me, so I back pedaled about 10 feet and when she broke to run I caught her. Now I am out of ammo, don't have a pistol and left my knife in the truck about 500yds from where all this began.

The guy I am working with is splitting a gut laughing at me and my footrace. He drove as close as he could and brought me a knife to finish the job. I've been ribbed about it by him everyday since, because I had 46rds of ammo in the truck and didn't take any extra.

I bagged 22 hogs last year between dogs and a rifle. I'm looking to break that this year, I'm gonna hunt a little more. The guy who works with me lives in a hog infested portion of the state and bagged 27 in the month of December.

------------------
LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING,
Steve Moody

"Stand Tall or Stand Alone."

"When the last of the
brave and free refuse to
surrender, I intend to be among them"

"Freedom is not a concept, Freedom is a way of life. Those who appreciate it practice it, those that don't legislate it."

"If it walks like a Stalin,
talks like a Castro, looks like a Hitler it aint no Thomas
Jefferson"

All of the above non-conformist quotes brought to you by Steve Moody

That is a funny story, but something very similar happened to me. In fact, this is the only hog I have had mounted: I shot a big boar with my .300 Win mag at about 150 yards. The shot felt good, and he dropped like a sack of cement. My buddy told me to put another one in him, but I didn't want to waste any meat (I was still convinced I could find a way to cook those old guys.) I go running over to the pig while Gary went to get the truck. Well, I get to about 50 yards from him and the boar gets up and starts runnning. So I shoot him again. The shot spins him around, and he must have had enough of that, so he comes after me! This is in an open barley field without even a bush. I drop to one knee and shoot him again. He doesn't seem to be hit, but he turns around. I start chasing him again rather than shooting him (why, I don't know.) I finally drop to one knee again and shoot. This one finally puts him down...but it was my last round and I didn't have any more with me...just like you! All four rounds hit him. The first one clipped his spine just behind the shoulders and knocked him down and out, I guess. The second shot actually broke a hip, but didn't seem to slow him down. The third shot, when he was coming directly towards me, just sliced the skin of his chest open like a knife and almost shot his "weewee" off. The last shot took out his shoulders, heart and lungs. Talk about an adrenaline rush, though! While I've shot many pigs bigger than him, he's the only one I've had mounted. He was a scarred up old boy,with ragged ears, a half-healed slash on his shoulder and lots of scars on his neck and shoulders. Three-inch tusks and about 200 pounds of lean summer boar.
biggrin.gif
Boy, did he taste rank!

[This message has been edited by Calif. Hunter (edited 01-10-2001).]

SaintGuner:

Where exactly is Devine, TX? My brother-in-law and sister live in Austin. Is Devine close to Austin? My sister in law lives in Dallas. Is Devine close to Dallas? If "Yes," I'd like to get out there and do some hog-shooting. Can you help?

Back