Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ruger M77 Stock Upgrade

JFish

I have a Ruger M77 MkII in .270 that my father got me in the 90’s as a first rifle. It’s a great rifle and the only one I use or need for hunting. The stock had been cut down years ago to fit me a little better when I was a kid so I’m debating putting a new stock on it. What stock would your recommend? HS precision seems to be a popular option. My other question is does a new stock need to be bedded and installed by a gunsmith?

Boyd’s offers laminate and solid wood options for the m77

Bedding isn’t necessarily required but could help accuracy.

stinks the factory stock was cut down as there’s some nice walnut on those 90’s rifles 🙂

Attachments

• AFB4E72F-FDC3-4003-8B77-63497EDDA9FC.jpeg
    AFB4E72F-FDC3-4003-8B77-63497EDDA9FC.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
I have Bell and Carlson replacements on two of my rifles, I have no complaints about either. They offer them for M77’s along with many others.

I would second Bell and Carlson or HS Precision. Boyd's also makes a good laminate if you want to stick with wood. I have one of their Prairie Hunter models on my M77.

I have a McMillan on mine as they were the only one I could find in left handed. Bell & Carlson are pretty good and the cheaper option. HS Precision are a little better, IMO and cost a bit more. McMillan makes an excellent stock and is pricey.

I’ll check out these options. So if I were to purchase an aftermarket stock is it just a drop in type installation no guns nothing required?

You can find factory replacement stocks fairly easily as well, if you want to keep it original. Most of the mass produced aftermarkets will require some minor fitting.

You can find factory replacement stocks fairly easily as well, if you want to keep it original. Most of the mass produced aftermarkets will require some minor fitting.
@Ben Lamb Not sure what some guy from MI would know about long range rifles, but I agree. ;)

You can find Ruger factory laminates on Ebay and other places. They are hard to beat if you want wood. GunParts.com (aka Numrich Arms) is also a good source. Midway has them sometimes.

I put a Bell and Carlson stock on one of my Mausers and hate it. It was a b!t(h to fit and bed, lots of dremel work to get the barrel straight in the channel. It feels like the wrong end of a baseball bat to me. It will be replaced with a Hogue when I have the loose coin.

I use Hogue Overmold stocks on everything. The full bed ones are getting harder to find, but the pillar bed models are easy to get and are a great value.

If you get a Ruger factory plastic stock, consider getting a pillar kit from Midway or Brownell's for it.

To answer the second question, EVERY stock needs to be bedded, IMHO. But you can do it yourself if you are careful. There are lots of videos and articles out there about it.
Be liberal with the releasing agent and make sure you scrape off any compound that oozes out at the top while it is still soft. (TIP - Alcohol soaked paper towel or swab works great. )

@Ben Lamb Not sure what some guy from MI would know about long range rifles, but I agree. ;)

You can find Ruger factory laminates on Ebay and other places. They are hard to beat if you want wood. GunParts.com (aka Numrich Arms) is also a good source. Midway has them sometimes.

I put a Bell and Carlson stock on one of my Mausers and hate it. It was a b!t(h to fit and bed, lots of dremel work to get the barrel straight in the channel. It feels like the wrong end of a baseball bat to me. It will be replaced with a Hogue when I have the loose coin.

I use Hogue Overmold stocks on everything. The full bed ones are getting harder to find, but the pillar bed models are easy to get and are a great value.

If you get a Ruger factory plastic stock, consider getting a pillar kit from Midway or Brownell's for it.

To answer the second question, EVERY stock needs to be bedded, IMHO. But you can do it yourself if you are careful. There are lots of videos and articles out there about it.
Be liberal with the releasing agent and make sure you scrape off any compound that oozes out at the top while it is still soft. (TIP - Alcohol soaked paper towel or swab works great. )
Although I generally enjoy screwing something up while climbing a learning curve I think I’ll have someone else do it for me. I can’t risk screwing up my first and only hunting rifle 🤣

Or maybe I should and then I can start one of those “best rifle” threads.

Check out Numrich gun parts as well. You might find a new OEM stock, or others for your rifle

If your looking to drop weight, there's a composite stock from Stocky's that is supposed to only weigh 27oz.
Looks pretty decent too.
Price was/is around the $500 mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back