PEAX Equipment

Ruger M77 MKII Zytel Project

crock239

I've had this Ruger .270 for 20+ years, and since I live in the Midwest never get to rifle hunt and haven't shot it much. Got lucky and drew a NM rifle deer tag this year, found a good range and started working on a rifle or two...

20200920_124911.jpg

Factory trigger was heavy and creepy (i didn't realize that until I compared to my recently acquired model 70). Initial range trip I wasn't shooting great, with a couple different ammo choices....:confused:

20200920_125338.jpg

Ordered a Timney trigger, which I installed myself. A little intimidating at first as it requires a bit of "light gunsmithing" with a Dremel to file down the Timney to fit the factory 3-position safety, and I'm not handy in the least. Followed a couple videos from Timney, took my time, and the install actually went really well....learned a bit about torquing action screws in the process...back to the range...

20200920_125314.jpg

Ugh...☹...ordered a Limbsaver recoil pad to replace the rubber tire it comes with. Then on a visit to my brother's house he taught me how to work up some handloads, kind of a cool process...back to the range...
20200920_125253.jpg

:D Winner! Rifle now shoots much better than I can.

Kind of a neat deal...now this off-the-shelf, not-particularly-pretty rifle feels a lot more like "mine".....And was a fun little project along the way.

I put my Boat Paddle (7/08) through a little DIY a couple/three years ago also. I think the Limb Saver was the single best mod I did to the rifle. Your rifle looks like it's showing some oxidation, as did mine. Might I suggest a little " Back to Black", found in the automotive section of wherever.....It was about $5, I think. Doesn't take much. The rest I just use on the car, so no loss there. Good rifle, Good load, Good luck on your hunt. (y)

I put my Boat Paddle (7/08) through a little DIY a couple/three years ago also. I think the Limb Saver was the single best mod I did to the rifle. Your rifle looks like it's showing some oxidation, as did mine. Might I suggest a little " Back to Black", found in the automotive section of wherever.....It was about $5, I think. Doesn't take much. The rest I just use on the car, so no loss there. Good rifle, Good load, Good luck on your hunt. (y)

Thanks, I'll look into the back to black. I agree I was really surprised at how much difference the limbsaver makes...obviously reduces the felt recoil and it does seem to make the recoil more "controllable" if that makes sense. (y)

I have several Rugers. I like them best as a strong platform that always wants a little armoring and tweaking. That's the fun of it for me.

Well done on your rifle. now let us know all about your hunt prep and trip.

A little more tinkering this week with the Ruger boat paddle in preparation for the fall...

Pulled the silver VX2 3-9x40 and sold it, used the proceeds to get new VX3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL from @schmalts and pocketed a couple Benjamins in the process...crazy what a used silver scope will sell for on Ebay... 🤷‍♂️

20230518_210430.jpg

Hit the range, got it on paper and then fired a 3-shot group at 200 yds for the first time in my life.
20230516_105838.jpg

Damn. It's definitely not the prettiest rifle I own but I can't blame any misses this fall on equipment.

Couple scope adjustments and next stop is Alaska.

You sold a vx 2 for more than you bought a new vx3i?
Close, sold VX2 for more than I bought a new VX3HD.

Started at $1 and when it ended it sold for about 2.5-3x what I'd have thought. Some people REALLY want the silver scope on a stainless gun I guess.

Loved the look of these rifles when I was young. My younger brother has one in 280 and also has a 22 mag.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back