Ruger Blackhawk revolver 45 long colt, everything but new

D4570

OK, now I have two pistols.
I have had a phoenix arms 22 semi for a Long time.
But I just acquired a 45 long colt.
I have never even fired one, but it looks cool.
Anyway, we have some .454 dies to cast bullets I'll try.
What would be a good starting style and weight?
I'm guessing it will be for plinking but will use it for hunting as needed. Powder? Maybe blue/red dot?
I found some once fired brass and ordered 200 to start with, kinda pricy right now and new is mostly nonexistent.

Anyway, I now have another rabbit hole to slide into.

Pics please!

I shoot a 7 1/2" Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I've done quite a bit of work on it. It is firelapped and slicked up. The cylinder throats are trued up to all be .453" using a reamer I rented from 4D. All the skin peeling sharp edges have been softened. (You can see it on the back of the hammer in the photo.)

This was my second single action revolver. The first was a BH 30 Carbine 7 1/2". If it's revolver day, the 45 Colt is my first choice every time.

It's very forgiving. I started with a bucket of range pickup brass I had collected over the years and a box of Hornady lead SWC of the shelf. I had been sitting on a can of Green Dot for years and started with that.

Unless yours is a small frame Vaquero, it will eat any load from the old cast boolit classics to "Ruger Only" loads in most newer manuals.

I have fed mine Unique, Greet Dot, HP-38, Win 231, W296/H110, 2400, Viht 3n38, Lil'Gun, you name it.

I have lots of old jacketed stuff in the safe for it, but my favorite bullet for this revolver is a Keith SWC Hollow Point, Plain Base. I use a MP 454-308 mold with the "penta" HP pin. I also use their "45 Ruger only" heavy WFN HP. With the deep HP pin installed they tip out at 299 grains.

Be sure to check any "once fired" brass you buy for balloon head cases. The 45 Colt has been around a long time and you will still find them out there. They will not handle modern loads.

1643495191352.png

Have Fun!

Wherever I post this pic I have to include the discalimer: I WAS NOT DRINKING THE BUD LIGHT!. It was just a can some slob had left on the USFS road.

IMG_2256.JPG

The Rail I ordered fit perfectly.
The dot I had fit perfectly.
It would be perfect if it was black.
Going in the morning to see if it works.
PS
The 300 gr mold came today the checks will be here Monday.

45-c-d.jpg

45-c-c.jpg

45-c-b.jpg

45-c-a.jpg

45-c.jpg

Congrats on the new gun.

The .45 Colt, with proper loads/ammo can be a real tack driver.

These are 5 shot groups at 25 yards using an RDO to aid in precise shooting.

yXKVWv0.jpg

In this case these were .45 Cowboy Special loads.

Here are some 270 grain Keith hardcast SWCs at 900 FPS from my Flattop:

AJkUq1p.jpg

@D4570 Your red dot sight looks a lot like one I had on my Ruger SRH .44Mag, it didn't last long, not strong enough. Have fun with your 45 Colt.

Diamond D chest rig? I visited the shop in Wasilla a few years ago and walked out the door with two of them. I will never hang a heavy iron off my hip again.
Yes a D.D. I think it is almost 20 years old and I also have a couple. As my eyes got older I could still tie flys on tippet with out wearing readers, but I had to hold everything up near the top of my pockets. Adjusted the holster to the side to accommodate my old eyes.

As a motivator:

Don't forget, you can load .45 Colt, .45 Schofield, and .45 Cowboy Special, all in the same cylinder.

lGoy3x7.jpg

WWHi0psl.jpg

Mi0dePVl.jpg

You could find an ACP cylinder and shoot .45 ACP if you like as well, since .45 ACP brass is by far the least expensive and most plentiful of the various cartridge types.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back