Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ruger American triggers

Redmt

I have been working on triggers for my Ruger American rifles. Adjusting and polishing got them to a repeatable 3-1/4#. Not good enough. The aftermarket springs for 12 bucks and freight was too much for a $1.50 spring. I started trimming the OEM spring 1/2 coil at a time until it got to .585 length and consistent 2-1/2 pound pull. I would guess you could continue to trim another 1/2 coil at a time but 2-1/2# is what I was after.

I have found that if you get the spring under 0.600 inches, and polish the parts with Flitz and your Dremel wheel you can get to 2#.

I have found that if you get the spring under 0.600 inches, and polish the parts with Flitz and your Dremel wheel you can get to 2#.
The shorter you cut the spring, the lighter the trigger to a point. I stopped at .585 with the adjustment pressure screw lightly seated. I thought about taking another 1/2 coil or so and adjusting back up to my preferred 2-1/2# but decided not to.

Clipping coils isn’t the correct way to lower trigger pull weight but does decrease the weight. The spring is designed to be a certain length for a variety of reasons. A lighter spring of the same length is the correct way.
Did you stone the trigger at all or just polish?

Agreed that clipping coils is the redneck engineering way to get it done. Installing a lighter spring would take the guesswork out but the guy selling the lighter spring sells them at 1500 times the cost. I found the spring from the manufacturer that he sell but you have to buy 50 of them, which is probably why he sets such a price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back