Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ruger .375 ?

arffdog875

I am needing some information guys! I have a buddy that is looking to sell a .375 Ruger caliber rifle, does anybody out there shoot this caliber? From what I have read it has good ballistics, but how does it preform off the bench compared to .375 H & H or other large calibers? I am thinking about this rifle for Alaskan Brown bear? Any help would be appreciated! P.S. the price is right ( he wants $700 cash ) just don't know about the caliber and reloading possibilitys. ???? Thanks! arffdog875

It basically outperforms the H&H version by about 100 fps, IIRC. Accuracy-wise - like always, it depends on that particular firearm. It is not designed to be a benchrest cartridge, as most of us don't have a bench when shooting brown bears, lions or tigers.... ;) Generally, they are accurate enough for their intended use. It is no more difficult than any other round to reload. Ammo may be harder to find in Africa than H&H ammo.

The advantages are it is a shorter round and that it equals the H&H performance from a 20-inch barrel. If the price is right and you have a need or desire for a .375 class rifle, go for it. I like the African model. I have shot the Alaskan model in this caliber, and it was fun.

Agree with Calif Hunter.
Ballistics look great. Ruger makes very good low end price big bores, i.e, the ..416Rigby (which I have) and the .458Lott. But the ammo could be a real problem when traveling like some of the Wby and the RUM if South African Airways missplace your luggage with the ammo----you ain't gonna find it in your local African "sports" shop! And SAA has the worse baggage handling reputation in the industry. If you connect in South Africa and their baggage handlers get a chance at it from some other airline to theirs, you could be in trubble! But, I have never had a problem if traveling SAA on all flights....duh!

Last edited:
Calif. Hunter and Tom in Tenn.,

Thank you very much for your help, I guess I am going to have to decide if I need a .375 class rifle for Brown bear or if my .338 RUM will work( my largest caliber I have now)???? I mistyped shooting off the bench, I don't intend taking a bench hunting, it was 7 a.m. and not enough coffee in me...sorry! So now 338RUM or .375 Ruger?? Will the .338 RUM be enough for Brown Bear??

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back