Rubs. Let's see 'em!

Dougfirtree

Does anyone else photograph great rubs, when you find them? I'm a sucker for a big ol' rub; the kind that makes you stop and wonder about the stud that did that... If you have any photos, I'd love to see them.

Below are the two biggest trees I've ever seen rubbed. They are right next to each other, with other rubs nearby. It's just above the only crossing in a long mountain swamp. You can see that the damage to the trees isn't all that extensive, just deep gouges from the tines slashed through the bark, but man, what kind of deer goes after trees that big!? I never found him.

PB020006.JPGPB020007.JPG

And another from this year. I found this one just before shooting a 4.5 year old buck. It's fun when you find one that is really shredded!
IMG_4181.jpg

Not a rub, but this time of year until snow melts the moose
bulldoze down some pretty good size aspen trees to get to the buds.
They get on their hind legs and crack the trunk down.
If its a late spring some areas look like a bulldozer has run thru an aspen stand.

No pictures, but back in the 80's I was hunting the Custer and came across an impressive mule deer rub on a 5 inch pine tree. I am 6 foot 2 and I was looking straight across at the top antler marks on the pine. Sure would have loved to had run into the buck that made that rub. Good bet he wasn't a three point.

Not a rub, but this time of year until snow melts the moose
bulldoze down some pretty good size aspen trees to get to the buds.
They get on their hind legs and crack the trunk down.
If its a late spring some areas look like a bulldozer has run thru an aspen stand.
That's cool! I run into trees around here that the moose sort of chew the bark off. It looks like a rub, but way up high and not shredded. I'm curious if that's a feeding behavior, or a territorial thing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back