Roundup management hunt

8andcounting

so im gonna set the alarm for 5 am tomorrow morning and hopefully get 1 of the 80 tags for the roundup management hunt, just curious has anyone on here ever done this hunt before ? I was surprised to see that they are opening it up to either sex mule deer, I figured it would be a doe only hunt, but they must want bucks gone too. Kinda strange, but im gonna be in that neck of the woods for 10 days anyways in November and I love to bow hunt. Any input would be much appreciated . :D

Man, thanks for reminding me! That sounds like fun. I think I'll try and get me and my four boys tags as well. :)

I emailed the city administrator of Roundup a while ago asking about last years hunt and the response was the hunt was considered a success and 3 bucks and 8 does were killed out of the 60 tags sold last year. I shot a doe and it was one of the best tasting deer I've eaten. I guess that city grass is good:) She had thick fat all over and it was the middle of winter. I did see one smaller 4 point during the hunt but me and my 2 year old daughter couldn't close the deal at 22 yards. Never did see him again after that. Good luck to all who got tags, they went fast!

it doesn't affect your regular general tag as far as deer goes does it? So technically if I bought 2 of these tags then I can shoot 3 bucks total, if you add the 1 with gen tag

I emailed the city administrator of Roundup a while ago asking about last years hunt and the response was the hunt was considered a success and 3 bucks and 8 does were killed out of the 60 tags sold last year. I shot a doe and it was one of the best tasting deer I've eaten. I guess that city grass is good:) She had thick fat all over and it was the middle of winter. I did see one smaller 4 point during the hunt but me and my 2 year old daughter couldn't close the deal at 22 yards. Never did see him again after that. Good luck to all who got tags, they went fast!

so why only 9 deer shot? no access? no deer? this seems kinda fishy

it won't affect your regular OTC tag.

Never hunted this hunt before, but very familiar with the area. There are good bucks in the general area, but I for sure wouldn't get my heart set on killing one (or more than one) in this hunt area. Could happen, but I think it is going to be more about being in the right place at the right time rather than hunting hard and digging out a good one. The hunt area is pretty limited, so it is going to be kind of a "take what you can get" deal.

That said, I had my new to bowhunting buddy and his 14 year old pick up tags, as I think it could be a good way to get them on their first bow kills. Plus, might be fun to get to hunt deer for a few days around Christmas.

Good luck to everyone.

Plus, might be fun to get to hunt deer for a few days around Christmas.

My thoughts exactly. I have no intention of hunting here during the regular season, but I'm sure I'll be bored one weekend in December or January and this will give me something to do...

I am the "Proud?" owner of 2 of these tags now. I was up by 5. My son had to go to the hospital at 5:30 while I was attempting for the 5th time to get the tags. And I had them bought at Walmart at 8:30. Got to try anything once. Just want something that cooks well on a grille!

Now that this hunt is over I was curious if anyone had any success? I took a handicapped friend out a couple times to try and get him his first archery kill and he missed a few shots and blew a few chances but had a great time.

Now that this hunt is over I was curious if anyone had any success? I took a handicapped friend out a couple times to try and get him his first archery kill and he missed a few shots and blew a few chances but had a great time.

Wow, good for you ! I like hearing things like this . Did u guys see many deer ? Anything with any horn size ? Thanks and way to go!

Thanks, deer numbers were lower than I expected and were lower each time we went out- I guess that's a good thing for the city and the goals they had for hunt. We didn't see any big or mature bucks, 2 small 3 points and a few forkies is all we came across.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back