Round balls in an inline

lpshunter29

So this year I ended up hunting with the one load you shouldn't use in an inline muzzleloader. A .50cal patched roundball with 80gr. by volume pyrodex. I'm shooting this out of my CVA Accura.

I drew an antelope tag for NW Colorado and started the load building process as my original load of 270gr. PB Platinum and 120gr. BH209 would be a bit much. While I was shopping at scheels I picked up some patches and round balls just for plinking (a few cents is quite a bit better than $4/shot. After a frustrating day of load development, I figured I'd throw some round balls down range just for fun. Well, a few 3 inch groups layer, I had my final product.

I took it antelope hunting and had incredible results. At 120 yards I put that pebble in his chest and out the hind quarter (he was almost facing me). He ran 20 yards and, of course, fell over in a patch of cactus next to a fire ant hill. That was a fun clean. Would I use this for anything but antelope? No. Is it accurate as my expensive loads? You bet.

Anywho, why do so many people assume this load won't work? I know it won't work for everyone but the internet seems to have decided it will never work in any twost faster than 1:66. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_165945_562.jpg
    IMG_20200921_165945_562.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 44
I think the majority of those that say it won't work have never even tried. Not every barrel is the same and given the huge range of patch thicknesses, possible ball sizes, cushion wads, varying volumes of powder, etc, I'd bet a lot of in-lines with fast twist barrels could shoot prb's with careful load development. They may not give 200 yard results, but at 100 yards or less and minute of deer accuracy, you bet.

The original Hawken's from st Louis back in the 1830s were 1:48 twist.

I think the majority of those that say it won't work have never even tried. Not every barrel is the same and given the huge range of patch thicknesses, possible ball sizes, cushion wads, varying volumes of powder, etc, I'd bet a lot of in-lines with fast twist barrels could shoot prb's with careful load development. They may not give 200 yard results, but at 100 yards or less and minute of deer accuracy, you bet.
Exactly. I know people enjoy load development with sabot and conical rounds but perhaps since round balls are a bit different people don't really work on it, just assume it doesn't work.

So this year I ended up hunting with the one load you shouldn't use in an inline muzzleloader. A .50cal patched roundball with 80gr. by volume pyrodex. I'm shooting this out of my CVA Accura.

I drew an antelope tag for NW Colorado and started the load building process as my original load of 270gr. PB Platinum and 120gr. BH209 would be a bit much. While I was shopping at scheels I picked up some patches and round balls just for plinking (a few cents is quite a bit better than $4/shot. After a frustrating day of load development, I figured I'd throw some round balls down range just for fun. Well, a few 3 inch groups layer, I had my final product.

I took it antelope hunting and had incredible results. At 120 yards I put that pebble in his chest and out the hind quarter (he was almost facing me). He ran 20 yards and, of course, fell over in a patch of cactus next to a fire ant hill. That was a fun clean. Would I use this for anything but antelope? No. Is it accurate as my expensive loads? You bet.

Anywho, why do so many people assume this load won't work? I know it won't work for everyone but the internet seems to have decided it will never work in any twost faster than 1:66. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I have a little different experience with what "they" say will or won't work. My Kentucky rifle will drill nice round holes in the target out to 100 yds, using 320gr MaxiBalls (around 2" groups). 33.5" barrel, twist is 1:66, so it's allegedly not supposed to stabilize conical bullets but it does very well with the MaxiBalls - very similar groups to the patch/ball.

Good shooting on the antelope!

I shoot a patched round-ball out of my Hawken Flinter.... 1:66 twist.

I haven't personally had much luck shooting them out of anything with a faster twist.

People say lots of things they don't understand.

Twist rate is far less important than rifling depth. Early Jaeger's from the continent in 18th century were regularly 1:28" to 1:30" but had deep rifling and were designed for round ball.

Modern fast twist guns either shallow rifling are less suited to it but you can work around this by using lighter charges.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back