Caribou Gear

Rotator cuff surgery

I backpacked a cow elk out Saturday before my surgery. 6 days later first round of PT 2 days post surgery had me feeling like a total wimp.

Crystal clear full moon night I should have been calling coyotes, instead I was hooked to the ice machine.

What is absolutely incredible is the lack of pain. My shoulder hurt way worse on the drive to surgery then it does now. And no pain meds.

Good work HW sounds like you are making great progress.

And for the rest of the guys on the IR list good luck.
Lots of variables I suppose. My PT starts 6 weeks post surgery. You must be a youngun, lol.
Congrats!

Ahh, yes, ice feels good for the shoulder, as long as its in a pack. Good that yours is moving along, I start therapy next Thurs.
Met Doc this week, asked him about operating equipment, he actually said "anytime", but he then reiterated what he told me a week afrer surgery, " approximately 30% of surgery patients are back".
Lucky its winter and I have good employees
This isn't exaclty what you mean by "equipment" but the day before my surgery, I cut down 12 dead ash trees for burning later. After surgery, I wanted to stack and burn them using the grapple on my 40hp tractor. The grapple operates on a joystick (Deere) on the right side. The 3pt lever that I need to plow out my driveway is also on that side. For 3-4 weeks, I could not move my arm far enough to the right to operate either of them. After that I could sit cattywhumpus and sort of work the joystick though some maneuvers required reaching across with my left hand.
FWIW, I'm 65. I don't heal like I used to. :(

This isn't exaclty what you mean by "equipment" but the day before my surgery, I cut down 12 dead ash trees for burning later. After surgery, I wanted to stack and burn them using the grapple on my 40hp tractor. The grapple operates on a joystick (Deere) on the right side. The 3pt lever that I need to plow out my driveway is also on that side. For 3-4 weeks, I could not move my arm far enough to the right to operate either of them. After that I could sit cattywhumpus and sort of work the joystick though some maneuvers required reaching across with my left hand.
FWIW, I'm 65. I don't heal like I used to. :(
I was referring to Excavator, pretty much joystick but the problem I would foresee is getting in and out, often preach to my employee's the "3 point" system for climbing in/out.
I'll stay out for a while,lol.
65 here also, ditto on the healing.

I've had to have to total shoulder replacement. Actually a reversal I believe. Where the socket is backwards and the ball part is connected the rest of my shoulder. They pretty much cut my arm off to do this. They cut the bone in top of my arm about 6" about my elbow off and pounded a socket for the ball. Reamed out the bone n drove a barbed piece of ti titanium in it with a hammer.
I waited until everything was bone on bone. Not good. Recovering takes a lifetime. Could start using it in 3-4 months. Do physical therapy for sure. Muscle atrophy will set in.
Good luck n follow orders

I wish I'd had one or even two of these BEFORE surgery.

But I have one now. I take it in a cooler with bottled ice and strap it on in the parking lot immediately after therapy. Makes a huge difference.
I backpacked a cow elk out Saturday before my surgery. 6 days later first round of PT 2 days post surgery had me feeling like a total wimp.

Crystal clear full moon night I should have been calling coyotes, instead I was hooked to the ice machine.

What is absolutely incredible is the lack of pain. My shoulder hurt way worse on the drive to surgery then it does now. And no pain meds.

Good work HW sounds like you are making great progress.

And for the rest of the guys on the IR list good luck.
Should probably ice it. I was also surprised with the lack of pain, that was before PT. Been following orders, two sessions so far, with homework.
Going to the hardware store, building a pulley system to go over a beam in the living room. DIY.

PT is to get the dead blood out. Get your shoulder muscles moving. Chinese cupping check it out. . I broke my collar bone and 3 weeks later I was riding the Harley for 3 hours from DC area to OC. Plus 4 shoulder surgery's and would not hesitate to get cupped again.

Last edited:
Week nine coming up. Thought I screwed up a couple of times, not working hard but the simple things:
Have an employee & neighbor helping on a repair project, no intention of lifting but when employee slips I naturally try to catch him. Luckily, I let him fall, (😉), but the sudden reach...
Listening to the PT, and asking if the pain should still be there, says its normal, average nine months. Should be ready for work and lots of time for the second rifle CO.

Week nine coming up. Thought I screwed up a couple of times, not working hard but the simple things:
Have an employee & neighbor helping on a repair project, no intention of lifting but when employee slips I naturally try to catch him. Luckily, I let him fall, (😉), but the sudden reach...
Listening to the PT, and asking if the pain should still be there, says its normal, average nine months. Should be ready for work and lots of time for the second rifle CO.
I know about the sudden reach. Had a dog fight in the back of the truck. Same thing. I'm doing pretty well after 10 or 11 weeks. Probably 85-90 % of my mobility back in most directions. Strength is coming. It's not comfortable.

Went pheasant hunting with a friend but did not carry a gun. Did manage to trip but with a beautiful barrel roll, I landed on my left side and thought I had broken a couple of ribs. Got a lot of 9.8s and 9.9 scores for that one (but a 7.5 from the Russian Judge). :)

If it wasn't for wives we would all be up chit creek dealing with shoulder surgeries. After I tore my biceps tendons in my right arm, I could not do basic hygeine or fill my dinner plate and had very limited range of motion. I still owe my wife for putting up with all the crap she did during my recovers and I had three of them, rotator cuff on each arm and then torn biceps tendon for last surgery. Not fun.
Sucks to feel helpless doesn't it?

Specially when I had to call her in to the bathroom to take care of basic hygeine after I took care of nature. Never felt so helpless in my life recovering from that. LOL
Last year I was in for lumbar spine surgery 3 times. The first time they woke me up and sent me home saying he had to do my neck first. So first the cervical/neck then the lumbar. Was able to take care of THAT business tho a nurse offered to do it. Bladder control after the catheter was tough esp. if you're tethered it a pain med IV. Walking aain was tough. I used crutches, a walker and after ditching those I needed 2 canes. Still not back to normal because of foot drop. Prior to the point of surgery neuropathy started to set in even tho I was taking 1800mg of GabaPentin per day. Switching to Lyrica/PreGabalin made a big difference. Still on it.

Banged up an axillary nerve 3 years ago...left shoulder coming back slow as the ortho and wiring diagnostician advised. In the meantime right shoulder overuse has become an issue. Hurts like hell & grinds like a rusty hinge. Magic needle time soon, invasive remedy will have to wait.

I’m just past 4 weeks. PT twice a week has been going well and exercising twice a day at home. I’m real tired of the sling but I can see the purpose of not allowing sudden movements.

I can now brush my teeth and eat left handed without the fear of stabbing myself in the eye.

There will be a lot of work to do once I can do weights. I can tell how week the right side is. I shouldn’t have waited a year to get it fix. Not using it much though that time plus the rehab time has given me the strength of a 6 year old.

No pain and sleeping is nice.

Ohh and did I mention my wife is a saint?

Last edited:
Nineth week after surgery. After 9 sessions of PT I was questioning wheather my shoulder was healing properly. Been listening to others on here/everywhere and especially my PT person but still trying to do our PM. Last time I met with my surgeon was Jan 5th, just asked how I was doing.... it'll get better, no test.
My pt knew I was concerned and knowing I was seeing doc on Thurs she messaged him. This time he did a few strength tests, ROM....
I had mentioned that the pain now is worse than the surgery and he said for what he did its normal, confirmed I was "out of the woods" as far as normal movements. Still doing the PT, as well as home/office and weights are still limited, 2 lbs.
Running our mini-x, just test holes, sure glad I did this in the off season, can hardly get into our bigger machines.
I came into this thinking "I don't need no stinking PT", changed my mind.

Week 12, now that the shoulder and associated items seem to be getting stronger, have to strengthen the cardio.
Received the bill, not including PT, almost fell over. Friggin insurance is so hard to understand, they make it look like they're the good guys.
Sure glad I had it, but maybe without it the bill would have been $11000.00
That was considered the average cost of Rotator Cuff Surgery.

Attachments

• Cardio work-out.jpg
    Cardio work-out.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
I’m at 8 weeks tomorrow.

PT twice a week still. Up to massive 5 pound dumbbell curls and hammer curls. Band pull downs and lots of stretching still. About 10 minutes a day on a bike machine for arms.

The arm is embarrassing weak, but for the first time in about 8 months I can lift my arm over my head with no pain.

I’m at 8 weeks tomorrow.

PT twice a week still. Up to massive 5 pound dumbbell curls and hammer curls. Band pull downs and lots of stretching still. About 10 minutes a day on a bike machine for arms.

The arm is embarrassing weak, but for the first time in about 8 months I can lift my arm over my head with no pain.
13 weeks this Fri. Gonna be a while. PT once a week now but been doing a couple of hours a day, same, stretches, got the rubber bands at home, office, sure takes alot of stretching.

13 weeks this Fri. Gonna be a while. PT once a week now but been doing a couple of hours a day, same, stretches, got the rubber bands at home, office, sure takes alot of stretching.
13 weeks for me, yesterday. Almost full motion. Weak as a baby, however. Stunning how weak I've become.

13 weeks for me, yesterday. Almost full motion. Weak as a baby, however. Stunning how weak I've become.
Yes, good range of motion. Doesn't take much to aggravate it. Had a front wheel hang up on a chunk of ice while plowing the other day, tried chopping, the jarring quickly reminded me. Took a couple days to fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back