Roe Buck down yesterday

devon deer

I bought this 12 months ago 2nd hand, but with very little use, it’s a Blaser K95, 20’’ hexagonal barrel in .308
Due to lockdown I didn’t get my hand's on it until 3 months ago, zeroed with my 6x42 Schmidt and Bender, which after 25 years of heavy use decided to develop a terminal fault, re zeroed with the S&B 8x56, and fishing/hunting bookings stopped me from using it.
But last night it all came together, 130 grain copper bullet, neck shot at 100 yards, all I could see was the neck as the grass was so long, a small target but it placed the bullet right in the centre.
What I didn’t see was a roe doe around 20 yards right in front of me that sprinted off into the woods, she lost her mate last evening.
Such a delight to carry, very ‘pointable'

Attachments

• 20210714_213138.jpg
    20210714_213138.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 87
  • FFC7D923-C8E2-4B4E-ADDC-8E9CD47636BA.jpeg
    FFC7D923-C8E2-4B4E-ADDC-8E9CD47636BA.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Beautiful. I could never hunt with such a thing for fear of damaging it.
I understand where you are coming from, and I will be probably only taking it out in fine weather, I have a Stainless Synthetic for those rough days, but if I do 'dink' it as far as I'm concerned it's a tool that will be used, and have memories with any marks I put on it.
I do have a slip over cover, but the above buck was taken on a lovely summer's evening, couldn't have been better.
I will get the head boiled out soon.

Thanks for all the comments guys

neck shot at 100 yards, all I could see was the neck as the grass was so long, a small target but it placed the bullet right in the centre.
I do believe you like to copy me on those neck shots! 😎 Whatever works, right? Looks like a dandy piece you have there.

To the rear of me is a field of high maize, I used a call and the rutted up Roe Buck appeared around 150 yards away, kept calling and he started to run towards us, I had to shout at him to stop at 30 yards!
Around 300 yards behind the chap in the photo are 2 red stags, they looked up when the shot was taken, then carried on feeding, even when I started to drag the buck up the field!
The stags are in season from today, I bet I won't see them now I can hunt them!
20210801_094456.jpg

I can't believe 1st April is almost here.
The Roe Buck season is about to start, some are still in velvet, so I will wait a month, but it should be a good season as the 2 bucks above are the only ones that have been shot on the farms I shoot over.
I was out chasing red deer yesterday and saw a cracking buck on a neighbouring farm, I'm sure it will cross at some stage.
I will post up when I get one.
Cheers
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back