• Somewhat, their OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care one way or another

• No, it's a rich mans private club

• Total voters

A-con

This organization enjoys fantastic support, but some people feel they have gone off the deep end catering to the rich. What’s your opinion?

I thinks all of these same "Foundations" start off being based upon the support of the average Hunter, but as they grow in size they start to reach out to the "Big Guns" and there is where you see the change. It also effects the cost to the average hunter by glamorizing the Hunt of that animal to where it is priced beyond what should be reasonably expected to spend on taking that animal. The Foundations Magazines show the Large, impressive animal and say "if we all pay into this, this is what we will expect". No, I would love to shoot the large 6x6, but let's get real! Ok, I'm Done. John

I recall the words of Roosevelt when he said "the hunter who is not a conservationist is a fool". In that light, I respect what the RMEF does to preserve habitat and fight suburbia's encroachment with ranchettes into the winter range. However, I see the organization following the trail of "Ducks Unlimited" and courting the yuppie dollar.

As far as the rising costs of hunting (Especially Non Res Tags which are out in crack smoking land now) that is a topic that has way to many trails. Game boards, Outfitter associations, Land owners etc. etc. etc.

Cheers
Roadtrip

I used to get something in the mail from them at least once a week with their hand out. I always figured it would save a pile in just printing costs if they didn't do that but what do I know. I like their work but their a pain in the ass sometimes. I'll still renew until the work that is done is less than the pain.

I'm more than a little surprised with results of this poll. Based on all the bad mouthing RMEF gets from some individuals here, I would have thought that the results would have been far worse. Guess it's good for the future of hunting that the majority is not as sour and negative as a few of the more outspoken people here.

I did a paper a couple of years back that looked at what the the conservation organizations actually did. RMEF and Ducks unlimited actually had the most activity and took on the most projects. I actually talked to some of the guys who worked for them, and I was impressed with what they did. In their short history they really have done a lot. Just my two sense, if anybody has a different opinion would love to hear it.

Several of the Az folks that were prominent in RMEF broke off and started the AES - Az Elk Society. They did this because of the amount of revenue they generated at banquets and events and turned over to Missoula and only a fraction of it came back to the state. In addition the reports of the conservation efforts that the RMEF were involved with in the state tended to be exagerated. This was stated by several people I know that are officers in both organizations, and while they are still friends and don't bad mouth each other they have different goals. One tends to worry about the west overall and the other wants to keep the funds in state. Once the money gets out of state you have no control over what is funded. Another friend of mine that lives in Wyoming pointed something out to me years ago that unfortunately is coming true. Did you ever hear of the RMEF voicing an opinion about the wolves in Yellowstone? Wonder if it would have helped to have this large organization oppose it instead of keeping their mouths shut and counting their money. This friend told me 'watch, once the wolves get here the elk population is going to drop fast, and no one will care, saying it is nature.' If any of you have kept up with the hunts around the park and population density then you are aware that this guy had a crystal ball and hit the nail on the head. I support RMEF's efforts and goals, but the last few years my money has gone to the AES.

I applaude what they stand for, and every little bit helps... But, they sure seem to cater to the rich... I've never seen anything other than extremley expensive, once-in-a-lifetime hunts on that show they have on OLN... Those special auction hunts and so-forth...

We are just starting a chapter up in my community. Will hold a banquet this August.

Sure, there are things about it that I don't agree with, but when 89 cents out of every dollar sent to the organization gets spent in the field on projects to help habitat, how can you go wrong even if you dissagree with some of their polocies.

I guarantee you that most of the members are just regular Joe's and they know it. However, does it bother me that some rich guys belong and send them lots of money, not one bit.

My cousins is on a committee here in Idaho, his chapter was considered one of the best for your odds of winning a gun.The chapter had 68 guns the first time I went to a banquet.The R.M.E.F. has taken more a nd more of their budget every year and taken their draw factor budget essentially away.I have another cousin who has lived up grant creek in missoula his whole life, I went to visit and saw where the other cousins budget went! If they would have spoke up on the wolf issue and shown some cahonies I would probably remain a member, but at this point I just don't know!

To be fair, the RMEF created a separate fund and a separate fundraising effort to build the new headquarters. In other words, conservation dollars were not used to build the new headquarters. And anyone who had visited the old headquarters in Missoula would have certainly seen the obvious need for a new building. I think the move was not only necessary and wise, in the end it will probably end up saving money for the organization.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back