MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Roads in CO unit 54

Roadgoat

Hey guys, I’m not looking for any info on where to hunt but am curious about your opinion on the roads in GMU 54 in November? I’ve been in the unit during the summer but not mid-November. Would you bring a 4 Wheeler, or do you reckon a Tacoma with chains would do to access some of the secondary roads near Blue Mesa Reservoir? Thanks in advance!

I hunted it last year during 3rd season. I'm from Montana and was amazed where some of the Colorado residents were willing to take vehicles. A Tacoma with chains would work, but I'd rather be on a 4 wheeler.

Thanks guys! I can put chains on the front.
Generally speaking if a road gets to a point you can't get a Subaru up it they close it, "primary roads". Secondary roads, a little bit different, you should be fine with a Tacoma with chains. Likely there will be an army of orange on RZRs if you hunt roads. I always recommend hiking in a bit, even a minimal amount of bush whacking will get you some solitude.

Personally, I'd take the ATV. There is a lot of roads that will take you all the way from the Lake to the top at the wilderness boundary. You can do it in a pickup, but you're gonna f*$k it up....

You should be good. I'd try to drive when the roads are frozen and not total soup. Watch out for Jeep hill up Soap Creek. That is where I draw the line. But, from what I understand Tacomas can go anywhere. Can't you just hit that offroad autopilot button (crawl control or something?) and the truck will do it for you?!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back