RIP Coach Madden.

hank4elk

Sad day. Guy was football.
A great person, who even had time to play a hole with a dolt like me at one of his pro-am fundraiser benefit for his Cal-Poly football team.
I was introduced to him that day by a classmate who was flipping tri-tips,PapaJoe Guidetti. Madden put on an apron and jumped in. I was helping Joe.
Madden remembered me years later and I received tickets to Raiders games for a while.

Just a great person.

It was a celebrity tourney,not a pro am....shotgun,play what ever type thing. Dangerfield was not as funny as John and he didn't try.

Last edited:
Damn. A special on him was supposed to air in the new year. Too bad he didn't live to see it. Was he ill?

When I was younger and obsessed with football Madden was my favorite. I loved his commentary and I loved his video game series. His down to earth commentary was a sort of comfort food. One could say he was a celebrity, but watching some YouTube videos a couple minutes ago of him on TV made me nostalgic as hell.

I remember watching games when I was a kid, with my grandfather who lived with us. He was severely debilitated with Alzheimer's but we liked to watch football together. When Madden was giving the commentary, it was a sure bet my grandpa would turn to me and say, "That Madden sure knows his shit." He would say that to me many times over the course of a game, and over the course of the years he lived with us I bet I heard it a hundred times. I never disagreed, and always said something like, "He sure does."

I remember watching the second super bowl with my dad - after that, I was a Raider fan and very quickly a John Madden fan.

“If someone remembers me as a coach, they still call me ‘Coach,’ but if they know me for the video game, they just call me ‘Madden.'”

John will be sorely missed , truly a bigger than life kind of guy. I will miss how special he made watching NFL football , John and Pat will never be replaced !

Thanks for that Letterman clip. Madden was a funny guy for sure, but that "Don't worry about the horse being blind ... just load the wagon!" motivational slogan is hilarious!
What an iconic football representative! RIP, Coach Madden.
I was going there’s got to be some cool clip on YouTube somewhere that I can find and so I just punched in madden and that was there and whoever download it did it 20 hours ago because of his passing so yeah it was cool to get to watch that and pretty damn funny I was laughing to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back