Rino 530HCx or something else?

fishing4sanity

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS to something that has the maps and can show the property boundaries, etc. I've got one of the old and very simple Garmin eTrex's, but want something with a lot more ability. I'm looking at the Rino 530HCx because the radio feature and ability to see where your hunting buddies are at seem like good features. Any experiences with this model or other brands / models that I should be looking at would be appreciated.

I bought a Rino 530hcx about 18months ago and love it. Have had no issues with it and it reliably gets good signal even in very thick timber. In fact have only had it once not get a signal, and it has to be an old indian burial ground or something or I must be in a different dimension when I walk through that area, as it is not somewhere anyone would think you shouldn't get a signal. Is great to be able to locate your buddies if your hunting together, especially if someone knocks something down. The 1:24k maps are expensive, but I have felt they were worth every penny once I had them.

We ordered the maps of the Garmin website I believe. They are a very small insertable chip and are like $99 a piece and only include a coupl;e states. Like the NW map includes only Oregon and WA. Had to buy a different one to get ID, MT, WY. But the detail when you zoom in will show you roads that you didn't even know were in your hunting area.

Goldtip, where did you get your maps? Also, how long of a range does the radio seem to have out in a real hunting situation? Thanks.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question regarding how well the radios work. I would say they work as good or better than any of the Motorola 2 way radio's I've ever used. Just for the radio feature, I would not buy them, but when you combine the radio, gps, ability to track your buddy and find them as well, I feel they are well worth the money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back