MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Two Way Radio

802flyfish

Looking to pick up a two way radio for hunting/riding around my neck of the woods. I have a Garmin Inreach but would be nice to communicate via radio with my wife and hunting buddies. I’ve come across Baofeng radios & Rocky Talkies. If I understand correctly, the Baofeng have the ability to use repeaters ? Do I need a Ham license to operate?

There are several repeaters in my area. Most of my activities take place in the mountains in SW Montana.

Any insight on particular models would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you plan to transmit on amateur frequencies to use the local repeaters, you need a license.

Those rocky talkie are hardened frs/gmrs radios. They'll work with any other brand frs/gmrs radio and appear pretty easy to use, and do not require a license.

What MarksJeep said about if you want to xmit. Also, relying on repeaters to get you any distance from where you are to your home is not the most reliable. Handhelds only have a few miles LOS. If you're in a basin or drainage, forget it. Not sure what your terrain is that you hunt but keep that in mind. If your group is fairly close to one another distance wise with no hills in between, you wouldn't need a repeater. You would still need the license however.

GMRS license is $35 and a two day wait. Got mine last week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back