PEAX Equipment

Rimfire rifle scope

j_burkWI

Anyone have any suggestions on a scope for 22LR? Bought a Ruger American 22LR to start teaching my son to shoot. My initial thought is a Leupold American Rimfire 2-7×33. I'm also slightly considering either the Vortex Crossfire II Rimfire 2-7×33 or the Vortex Diamondback Rimfire 2-7×35, and between those 2 leaning towards the Diamondback. Probably the biggest reason I even find myself considering the Vortexes is the warranty, as it'll give me some protection the first time he drops the gun scope first & bounces it off the rocks. The FOV numbers on the Diamondback are quite a bit bigger than the other 2. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these options or if there are other reasonable options out there beyond these. Thanks in advance!

I would get him something that is as close to what he'll be using on a big game rifle as possible. Of those you suggested, I'd put the Leupold in 1st place. Another that might be worth a look is the Tract 22 line of scopes.

You didn't state how old your son is, but if he's a youngster I'd not worry too much about BDC reticles and/or turrets at this point.

I would get him something that is as close to what he'll be using on a big game rifle as possible. Of those you suggested, I'd put the Leupold in 1st place. Another that might be worth a look is the Tract 22 line of scopes.

You didn't state how old your son is, but if he's a youngster I'd not worry too much about BDC reticles and/or turrets at this point.
I was actually going to mention the Tract myself. I have no direct experience with them, but have heard really good things about them.

I had a Vortex Crossfire one time and didn’t care for it at all. I’m told that the Diamondbacks aren’t much better until you get to their HD line.

He'll be 7 the end of July. I agree on a scope with a reticle that's not too busy for him. My main purpose is to focus on gun safety and shooting basics so he can be safe, comfortable using the gun and have fun. I am thinking a 2-7 would be better than a 3-9 for the larger field of view. I have a youth Savage axis 243 combo I picked up cheap last year that I would like to replace the scope on and am leaning towards a 2-7 for that as well. We deer hunt northern WI so there's not much shooting done beyond 150 yards & most is significantly closer than that.

He'll be 7 the end of July. I agree on a scope with a reticle that's not too busy for him. My main purpose is to focus on gun safety and shooting basics so he can be safe, comfortable using the gun and have fun. I am thinking a 2-7 would be better than a 3-9 for the larger field of view. I have a youth Savage axis 243 combo I picked up cheap last year that I would like to replace the scope on and am leaning towards a 2-7 for that as well. We deer hunt northern WI so there's not much shooting done beyond 150 yards & most is significantly closer than that.
+1
AA.jpg

I looked at the Leupold at academy and man that think is clear, light, and well balanced. Perfect for a small gun. But personally I couldn’t justify spending $200+ scope for a gun I knew I was going to be really rough with, and only shoot short range.

Was leaning towards Vortex but I saw an article that was titled along the lines of 5 of the best 22 rifle scopes under $200. It did include 2 vortex’s but also this cheap Barska. With it being prime I figured it was worth trying out the cheap purchase and honestly I’m happy with it. Now the rings it came with didn’t work on my 10-22 so I used vortex rings. Which cost as much as the scope.

BARSKA 3-9x32 Plinker-22 Riflescope https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JJCHWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_87SWEb5D25KCX

Last edited:
For that age, I'm a big fav of fixed power scopes and/or even red dots. Both my boys shot their first couple deer with a 357 Mag single shot with a red dot scope. IMO/E a very good gun for a first deer rifle. Easy to get on target with and very intuitive. Held their shots to 60yds and only one deer made it more than a couple feet and it only with 30yds. Youngest killed a ground hog with it at 90yds! Much more effective than I would have guessed. A part of why it worked so well is their BB gun had a red dot on it, so by the time they were using their "deer rifle" they were used to using that type of site. For a kids you're son's age, and if he's just beginning to shoot, I'd not shy away from using a red dot on the 22 until he gets comfortable with it.

They've both graduated to a 243 and I have a Weaver K6 on that scope. It's worked great for them on mostly deer, but my oldest did shoot a pronghorn with it at 150yds last year and I've used that rifle on a buck whitetail at 260yds. I like that there's nothing for them to fiddle with and the sight picture is the same every time. I plan on adding another 243 so that they don't have to share and it too will be topped with a fixed 6X.

After looking into this more, I think my preference is now the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7×33 (not rimfire version). I think its basic duplex reticle will be a better choice vs the rimfire MOA reticle in the rimfire version.

After looking into this more, I think my preference is now the Leupold VX Freedom 2-7×33 (not rimfire version). I think its basic duplex reticle will be a better choice vs the rimfire MOA reticle in the rimfire version.
Likely won't be an issue, but just note the parallax for the non-rimfire models is set at a further distance than the rimfire models.

Anyone have any suggestions on a scope for 22LR? Bought a Ruger American 22LR to start teaching my son to shoot. My initial thought is a Leupold American Rimfire 2-7×33. I'm also slightly considering either the Vortex Crossfire II Rimfire 2-7×33 or the Vortex Diamondback Rimfire 2-7×35, and between those 2 leaning towards the Diamondback. Probably the biggest reason I even find myself considering the Vortexes is the warranty, as it'll give me some protection the first time he drops the gun scope first & bounces it off the rocks. The FOV numbers on the Diamondback are quite a bit bigger than the other 2. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these options or if there are other reasonable options out there beyond these. Thanks in advance!
Hello! I think Leupold American Rimfire 2-7×33 is a good option for your boy! I wish you success and maximum attention! But you are advised to see what other scopes are on the market! I don't know if you've heard of the ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 3-14X. It is extraordinarily good. I have been using it for half a year already and it never upset me. I bought it from this web pagehttps://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight if you are interested. There you will find several scopes starting with those with night vision, ultra-modern sensors, ultra-modern optics, and so on. But the most amazing attribute is the fact that you can connect via Bluetooth and adjust the latitude and degrees from the optics. In short, it`s incredible.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back