Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifle prep for monolithic bullets?

Magnum Sherpa

I would like to try a Barnes bullet this upcoming elk season. It will be my first time shooting them. I read that you should do a thorough cleaning of all the copper in your barrel before switching from a jacketed bullet to a monolithic bullet, or else the fouling will be worse due to the different hardness of the copper in the two bullet types. Is there any truth to this? I thought it sounded like BS, but there is so much misinformation out there regarding all copper bullets.

I don't know that this is unilaterally true. I shoot Sierra Match Kings and Hammers out of my 6.5 and it doesn't seem to care at all. I'd give it a thorough cleaning with Wipe Out and then test it to see.

It would not hurt, to start with a totally clean barrel, but these new coppers have come a long way, from the original Barnes. I liked those bullets, but after 10 rounds, my groups opened up a little bit ( not bad, but noticeable). Clean the barrel, lube it with some good, synthetic lube and go shoot.

I've done it both way and didn't see a difference in performance, but with barrel to barrel variability who knows. I would just do a good copper clean with Wipe Out to keep it simple and remove one more variable.

For the 10 years that I've had my .300 Weatherby, my hunting bullets have been Barnes TSX and TTSX and my practice bullets have been Hornady BTHP Match. I regularly practice at all ranges out to 430 yards (the farthest berm at our range) with the Hornady bullets, and just before hunting, I shoot check groups with the Barnes bullet at 100, 200, 300, and 430 yards.

I've never had any copper fouling problemls.

I agree with above. No need to clean the barrel unless it makes you feel better. Go shoot and see how they group and if satisfactory accuracy go hunt.

Far more damage is done from over cleaning and improper cleaning/improper tools.

With the original “X” bullets, a clean bore was pretty critical....especially so, if the bore was a little rough. Back in the early ‘90’s, I was told to treat them as though they were cast bullets....send them down a clean bore. A match grade (polished) was more forgiving. With the advent of the “Triple Shocks” (grooves in the shank), and perhaps some “tempering” changes....they are much more forgiving. Though, I emphatically recommend a good cleaning to remove any previous fouling from bullets of different metallurgy! My rifle with a “match grade” barrel is pretty forgiving, however, my wife’s .338 WM....is not! Her groups are substantially larger, if the Barnes’ are fired behind conventional bullets! memtb

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back