MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rifle holder on MR

mtmiller

Has anyone modified their Mystery Ranch for carrying a rifle while packing? I currently use the side straps, but would like to add something to the belt or bag to put the carry pressure on the bottom of the stock instead of the strap points. In this case, the bag will be the Metcalf.

Could you add something like a gun bearer on the side of it? I just got my gun bearer, and am really looking forward to using it. I was walking around the house with my rifle in it, and was very impressed.

I really like the Stone Glacier rifle sling setup. I would think it would be pretty easy to get it to work on about any other pack that has some compression straps.

Pretty reasonably priced at $22 to give it a try. Really not much more than a few straps and a buckle that pops open when you pull on it.

There's a couple videos on using it and installing it.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/instructions.html

I tried it on another pack and it worked pretty well, I just added a D link or whatever you call it to the top compression strap and then tied it in a knot to get it to stay in place. On the Stone Glacier pack they have a D link sewn into the pack right where you need to hook it up.

The only one I've tried is Kifaru's Gunbearer. It works fine on MR packs.

Thanks fellas.

You are right Tyson. I hate my Gunbearer with the release on the shoulder strap. I just moved the bottom of the "bearer" further back on the belt and used the bag side straps and tossed the quick release. It works in the living room. Tomorrow we test in the field.

I should have tested this before asking the dumb question. thanks all.....

I don't like the barrel in my face, especially if I am using my trekking poles....old man knees.

That's what I like about the Stone Glacier sling. It puts the rifle behind your shoulder alongside the pack. Not under your armpit.

It is very quick to pull the release and have in your hands too. Just as fast as if it were on a shoulder strap.

nathan_m_packout.jpg

The only negative is that you pretty much have to take the pack off to strap it back on.

Last edited:
paden, I appreciate the video you provided. Looks like a better system. If the modified gunbearer system doesn't work for me, I will look into the SG.

Thanks fellas.

You are right Tyson. I hate my Gunbearer with the release on the shoulder strap. I just moved the bottom of the "bearer" further back on the belt and used the bag side straps and tossed the quick release. It works in the living room. Tomorrow we test in the field.

I should have tested this before asking the dumb question. thanks all.....
It works for me! That's how I carry mine if I'm using poles or needing to cover some ground. A bit slow to get out if you need it in a hurry, but if you are just making tracks it works.

Why not just fit a scabbard to GuNRs pack? ;)

Kifaru also makes an auxiliary gun bearer which is designed to keep the rifle on the side of the pack, unlike the regular one which puts the barrel in your face. I just used one for a week and it worked well. It attaches to the MOLLE webbing on the side of a pack. Pretty easy and simple.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back