Caribou Gear

Rifle for on the move woods/marsh deer hunting...BLR maybe?

G

Guest member 25165

I am in search of a rifle for on the move deer hunting in the woods and marshes of Wisconsin. I already own two bolt action rifles for stand hunting in 270 and 308 so I'm not going to purchase another bolt action. In another thread I mentioned I had ordered a Benelli r1 in 308 but I cancelled my order due to reviews about lackluster accuracy.

The ideal gun would be quick to the shoulder and handy while walking, leaning towards open sights, manageable in the weight department, and hold multiple rounds. I'm not interested in any AR 15/10 configuration. Right now I'm leaning towards a BLR but am interested in some suggestions I may not have thought of.

I am in search of a rifle for on the move deer hunting in the woods and marshes of Wisconsin. I already own two bolt action rifles for stand hunting in 270 and 308 so I'm not going to purchase another bolt action. In another thread I mentioned I had ordered a Benelli r1 in 308 but I cancelled my order due to reviews about lackluster accuracy.

The ideal gun would be quick to the shoulder and handy while walking, leaning towards open sights, manageable in the weight department, and hold multiple rounds. I'm not interested in any AR 15/10 configuration. Right now I'm leaning towards a BLR but am interested in some suggestions I may not have thought of.
One of those Henry 30-30s we were talking about would work slick. Head on over to Rice Lake to have a chat with them directly!

Get a used 7600 from the 80's, or so, with the straight stock. Replace the front bead with a fiberoptic one and put a Williams peep on the receiver. Add a recoil pad and adjust the stock to your length. That's as good as it gets for what you're describing. Mine feels so good to carry, I wish I could carry it around town...

Why do you need multiple rounds? In that thick of cover you only get one shot anyhow. I went to a single shot, break action to cut way down on the overall length of the rifle. It is also light enough to one-hand it ahead of me when I need the other hand to move thick brush out of the way. I can't think of anything better at this point.

Otherwise, 30-30.

Since you don’t want another bolt gun I won’t suggest a model 7 in 7-08 or 260. It would be hard to beat a Marlin 336 in 30-30, but like above I’d try and hunt down a 760/7600 and either upgrade with a peep sight or lower power scope!

I shot my first mule deer with a Belgian made BLR in .308. Personally, I would not recommend it. It is an awkward, heavy, clumsy rifle that does not handle well. Wasn't very accurate either.

But your idea of a lever gun is certainly a good one and one that is historically popular in Wisconsin. At one end of the scale you have the Savage 99s and Winchester 95s which are good rifles that are much better than the BLR in my opinion. But at the other end so to would be something like a Winchester 92 or Marlin 94 in .44-40 or (if newer), .44 mag or .45 colt. I have a Marlin 1894 in .38-40 that simply puts a smile on the face of every single person who picks it up and shoots. Way too much fun just to plink with for the 361 days that you aren't actually having a great time hunting with it.

And in between those are the .30-30s and .38-55s and the often forgotten, .32-40. Really, just get a Marlin 1893 or Cowboy in .38-55 or .30-30 and never look back.

All of those would be excellent choices for what you describe. All of them better than a BLR in my opinion.

And if you want a bigger bullet hole for some reason, then there are the Marlin 1895 and Winchester 1886s, but now you are back in the heavier guns, albeit still orders of magnitude better than the BLR, in my opinion.

Winchester Model 71 in 348. Great woods gun.

Ruger #1 if you don't need to sling lead & can deal with a single shot.

Mr Lamb is spot on IMHO. See if you can find a 71 and shoulder it, excellent choice and the caliber will also make it a good brown bear protection gun when you go to Alaska to fish with Salmochaser

My second choice was also selected by Mr. Lamb. The Ruger eliminates your desire for a multiple shot rifle, but they are an excellent woods rifle, excellent rifles period.

You might also jump down a couple of threads and read the 112 replies on the lever action thread.

Good hunting for the rifle and with it

Sounds like a standard Winchester 30-30 would fit the bill. Or something I used to have was a Marlin lever action something-or-other in .44 mag. I killed a handful of deer with it years ago. It was a handy little gun, but I didn't use it much and I think I traded it for a muzzleloader.

When my in-laws recently moved I inherited a pump action 35 Remington from my father-in-law. I really don't have a lot of use for it either, but it's fun, and I'd probably use it if I did more hunting like the OP is talking about.

Remington model 7>>> in 308 or 7mm-08 . 1 to 4X wide view scope

Back