Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Rifle for on the move woods/marsh deer hunting...BLR maybe?

I’m a one rifle guy, but if I wasn’t and only hunted Wisconsin (and I do live here), would probably go with a Marlin .444.

I have a Savage 99 in .303 Savage. Very fine iron sights and it was a fantastic brush rifle till I wore out the barrel. I recommend something like that. That thing killed countless deer and everything else. Come to think of it I should find someone to fix it even if I have to go to a more common caliber like 30-30 or something.

Thinking about this, I'm not an auto loader fan for much of anything. But in this case I think I could be tempted to find an older Winchester mod 100. Seem's to me they were fairly short barreled and one piece stock. Not sure how light they might be but for what the OP is talking about I'd be tempted to check them out.
The model 100 autoloaders are prone to problems with ejectors and finding parts for them is difficult. The model 100's and the lever-action version of the same rifle is the Remington model 88. Both of them have really poor triggers that can't really be improved.

I Have This Old Gun: Ruger 44 Carbine​

by Jeremiah Knupp - Thursday, November 9, 2017

I Have This Old Gun: Ruger 44 Carbine

From American Rifleman online:
No, it’s not a 10/22. It’s a 44 Carbine, the design that fathered not only the 10/22, but Ruger’s entire line of rifles. Sturm, Ruger & Co. got its start making handguns, and was close behind Smith & Wesson when it added a .44 Magnum revolver to its lineup in 1956. A fan of the big magnum, founder Bill Ruger was among the first to see the cartridge’s potential as a rifle round.
In 1959, the company started work on a rifle that would chamber the .44 Mag. The semi-automatic design would feature a square receiver with a side ejection port that fully enclosed the bolt. Concealed completely within the stock was a tubular magazine that held four rounds that were loaded shotgun–style underneath the action just forward of the trigger guard. The finished product weighed only 6 lbs., and its 18.5" barrel kept its overall length to 37". Easy one hand carry, no sling needed.

***When I shot 44 mag handguns a lot, I decided I needed one of these. Built some hot loads w 265 gr Hornady XTP bullets. Couldn't figure out how to hunt elk w it, so I let it go for a Marlin model 444 (well appreciated by HTers above). The Ruger was lighter and handier than dad's model 94, and put 5 rounds into 2 MOA as fast as I could pull the trigger and get back on target. If I was still-hunting deer woods inside 150ish yards, that would have been the perfect reason to put a ghost ring or holographic sight on it, put on muck boots or climb in a tree stand, and go bang bang bang bang bang. Where legal.

Note I have (technically) not yet broken my resolution to eschew discussion of elk calibers in 2021.

The model 100 autoloaders are prone to problems with ejectors and finding parts for them is difficult. The model 100's and the lever-action version of the same rifle is the Remington model 88. Both of them have really poor triggers that can't really be improved.
I hadn't heard that. But I'd probably give one a try, just looks right! As for the malfunction's, I have three Mod 700's each with the Walker trigger. Been a lot of talk about how crappy they are but I've never had a problem with them. I did figure out that trying to set them under 3# did create problem's. But as I said I'd probably give a 100 a try. Really like the way they look, plain and simple. If it were to malfunction on me well that's life. I think every maker of rifles has had a model with problems along the way, just like my Walker trigger's. Perhaps I simply haven't been burned yet!

Hi gentleman I’m new to the site so I’ve done a lot of reading and I’m impressed so far. My carry rifle for deer hunting is a 760 carbine in 3006. I’ve carried this rifle for 40 years and killed countless whitetails from 15 yards to 500 yards. Hunting Md and Pa shots can be point blank to hundreds of yards. Thick woods to central Pa potato fields. I have a 2x7 Leupold VX-2 and most of the time it’s set at 2x . My particular rifle shoots under a inch with 165 grain Nosler partitions . What I like about the 760/7600 carbines is they are compact easy and light to carry , the most important thing is the fast second and third shots . The pump action puts you right back on target for quick follow up shots. For my money it’s the finest eastern deer rifle money can buy. The problem is few people around the country have ever used one, those who do find the Remington is a much more accurate rifle then they ever imagined. The rifle shines in still hunting and tracking styles of hunting also great on deer drives.

I was shocked to read all the negative comments about the BLR. I have been very pleased with my .308 BLR. It’s the most accurate lever rifle that I have ever owned or shot. It’s easy to shoulder and get quickly on point. My BLR is my favorite rifle when hunting thick woods. Obviously a rifle fits each shooter a little differently and I’m admittedly bias towards Browning.

I was shocked to read all the negative comments about the BLR. I have been very pleased with my .308 BLR. It’s the most accurate lever rifle that I have ever owned or shot. It’s easy to shoulder and get quickly on point. My BLR is my favorite rifle when hunting thick woods. Obviously a rifle fits each shooter a little differently and I’m admittedly bias towards Browning.
I have no bad feelings for the BLR , I find it to be a fine rifle and in some real exciting calibers. Pretty much over all a very versatile gun. It has one draw back in mho, it has a hammer. To many this is not a big deal but for me it becomes less effective as fast handling rifle. That is a bias on my part I know but it makes me want to use the Remington 7600 as a first choice. I will say that the BLR is quite impressive over all. The 99 savage and the 88 Winchester are also fine fast handling levers in some powerful chamberings.

I have a Remington 7400 carbine in .30-06 that does a little less than 2 MOA. It's very handy for hunting woods with shots less than 100 yards. But for aimed shots, my bolt-action .308 is almost as fast. Years ago I did some hunting with a Remington 870 using 2-3/4 inch 1 oz slugs. Aimed shots are also not much faster than when using a bolt action.

It took a little bit of trading and such but I was able to find a NIB Sandusky Ohio Ithaca Deerslayer II. The barrel is pinned to the receiver for greater accuracy. I was pretty stoked to find this. Wisconsin has a rich tradition of slug gun hunting. 2013 was the first year Wisconsin allowed the entire state to use rifles so using a shotgun was what I grew up on. It's a 20 gauge, very light, fiber optic green and red williams sights, bottom eject, pachmayr pad, and decent enough wood.
I think this was an unusual but solid choice. I have used my 870 12 ga with smoothbore slug barrel for walking around in the thick stuff, and never felt short changed. None of the deer taken that way were happy about it.

I have a blr in .308 topped with a 2-7 Leupold, I like rifle a lot and carry it often in the Pa big woods.
A bit of an older thread but after using the Ithaca this season, I traded it off for a Marlin 444. I must have short arms or something because every time I shouldered the Ithaca, it felt so uncomfortable with my left arm stretched out on the forend. Its too bad because the gun shot well.

It took a little bit of trading and such but I was able to find a NIB Sandusky Ohio Ithaca Deerslayer II. The barrel is pinned to the receiver for greater accuracy. I was pretty stoked to find this. Wisconsin has a rich tradition of slug gun hunting. 2013 was the first year Wisconsin allowed the entire state to use rifles so using a shotgun was what I grew up on. It's a 20 gauge, very light, fiber optic green and red williams sights, bottom eject, pachmayr pad, and decent enough wood.
Gotta love the "slam fire" Ithaca's. Took many rabbits over the years with an Ithaca 37 20g with a honey-comb forearm. Never had my hands on a Deer Slayer but I've heard great things about em. Should work well for you.

Just cause I have to toss my two cents into ring, some great rifle options Winchester 94 (30-30), Marlin 336 (30-30), Savage 99 (300 Savage), Remington 760/7600 (30-06). The caliber's listed are my personal preferences but by no means are they the only options. I've owned or hunted with all of these in the Allegheny National Forest in N/Central PA. Based on the criteria provided I'd say the Win94 or the Marlin336 would have a slight edge over the Savage and Remington because they are more compact and easier to maneuver through the woods.

Iron sights/fiber optic are tried and true but my personal brush guns (Marlin336 and Savage 99) have a 2x7 Simmons on each. The area I hunt offers everything from thick cover to small meadows to big hardwoods so shots can range from 20 yards out to 120 yards. The 2x7 can handle it all.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

I'm enjoying hunting with a rifle I just put together for this purpose...Kimber 84M Hunter 243, rebored to 358 Win, shortened to 16.5", I shortened foreend on stock 3" and remolded the tip, added a Loopy 2.5x20 in Talleys for a 5.25lb loaded and slung thick wood hammer that handles like a dream and can fit anywhere I dare go without any hassle.

pAPDmJc.jpeg

tNcMLgK.jpeg

I'm enjoying hunting with a rifle I just put together for this purpose...Kimber 84M Hunter 243, rebored to 358 Win, shortened to 16.5", I shortened foreend on stock 3" and remolded the tip, added a Loopy 2.5x20 in Talleys for a 5.25lb loaded and slung thick wood hammer that handles like a dream and can fit anywhere I dare go without any hassle.

pAPDmJc.jpeg

tNcMLgK.jpeg
That thing must throw one hell of a fireball out of the muzzle. I like it

BLR in a short action cartridge would be the ticket, if you can find one.
7mm08, 243, or 308.

I'd get a BAR or Remington 748. If you try to hit moving deer in brush, you're going to need fast followup shots.

Back