Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

rifle for elk?

slamdmini

i want to get a rifle for elk hunting. i wont be going this year since it looks like i wont have any spare time, but next year my dad and i will hopefully be going. im looking for any advice u guys can give on a good rifle for elk. what rifle? what cartridge? etc. heres the main problem, i am very small, only about 125lbs, so i need a lighter recoiling rifle. i have a weatherby vangard in .270win that i can handle just fine. most everyone ive talked to say i should get something a bit bigger for elk. shots will be no more than 300 yds. what do u smaller guys, or ur wives or kids shoot? my max budget is around $1000. thanks guys

i want to get a rifle for elk hunting. i wont be going this year since it looks like i wont have any spare time, but next year my dad and i will hopefully be going. im looking for any advice u guys can give on a good rifle for elk. what rifle? what cartridge? etc. heres the main problem, i am very small, only about 125lbs, so i need a lighter recoiling rifle. i have a weatherby vangard in .270win that i can handle just fine. most everyone ive talked to say i should get something a bit bigger for elk. shots will be no more than 300 yds. what do u smaller guys, or ur wives or kids shoot? my max budget is around $1000. thanks guys

I'd be asking the "most everyone's" you're talking to how many elk they've shot...my guess, they're better at shooting their mouths than they are elk.

A .270 is just fine.

Doubletap ammo loads 160 gr Nosler Partitions and 180 gr Woodleigh Weldcore in 270win. I have found the 160 to be good elk medicine, if you are looking to shoot heavy-for-caliber bullets for elk.

Reactions: Guy
X6 on the .270

There’s no reason to get anything bigger for hunting in NA... now you may just want another gun...

I’m with Buzz though spend the money on tags.

My grandson is lighter than you and killed his elk (plural) with a 7mm-08. Your 270 win caliber has taken a lot of elk. I would stick with it. I have hunted with a 7mm Rem mag for decades and like it, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be plum happy with the 270. In fact, if I were starting again I would buy a 270 or a 7mm-08; they pack plenty of elk downing punch.

haha. awesome thank you guys. thats what i was hoping to hear. i do plan on upgrading the glass since the scope is just a cheapo. one last question, wheres all ur honey holes? haha

Everyone beat me to it.

Your 270 is just fine. Put a good bullet where it belongs and go tag your elk.

Regards, Guy

Though i haven't yet bought from him, Schmalts is your guy for new optics!
Leupold, Vortex, Sightron.
Don't dis the Sightron, $ for $ is really hard to beat!

140 accubond or tsx will kill elk much further than 300 yards. Next time someone tells you you need something bigger for elk, ask them how many they have shot with a .270.

Also, the Weatherby Vanguard is a fine rifle. If you got a $1000, spend it on a great pair of boots and pack.

Karamojo bell killed over 800 bull elephants with the 275 Rigby aka 7x57 which is smaller than a 270 so I think you'll be fine as long as you put it in the right place.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back