Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Rifle for Alaska

The 9.3 x 62 is a nice caliber but ammo is not found everywhere.
We're lucky that our country has such a mash of all cultures that imperial and metric are blended giving us the best to choose from. Having said that, being Australia everything is a long way from everything outside the capital cities so 9.3x62 ammo is near impossible to get within a few hours of my place. That's where either handloading or bulk buying comes in handy. This goes for any less common calibre.

Thanks guys. I should have phrased the original post as, this is what I'm thinking, am I on the right track? I reload but for ease of finding factory ammo, I'm going to be going with a .30 cal either WM or WSM and I'll decide between the two after I fondle a few guns. Right now I'm thinking probably a Tikka or Browning XBolt but the used rack can always change my mind.

Either will be fine, I have used a Tikka several times, but I owned an X-Bolt for quite a while, Stainless Synthetic nice fairly light rifle in 30-06 that I owned, some don't like the trigger but it is easily adjusted by yourself.
I agree, stick to a calibre where the ammo is readily available.
Cheers
Richard

I
Thanks guys. I should have phrased the original post as, this is what I'm thinking, am I on the right track? I reload but for ease of finding factory ammo, I'm going to be going with a .30 cal either WM or WSM and I'll decide between the two after I fondle a few guns. Right now I'm thinking probably a Tikka or Browning XBolt but the used rack can always change my mind.
If your thinking .300WM you might as well take a look at the Howa randy rifle.
If it came in a lefty model that would probably be my pick.

I've only hunted Alaska once, back in 1980 for Caribou out of King Salmon. I carried my .30 Gibbs with 180 grain Partitions, and a .44 Super Blackhawk with 240 grain hard cast bullets.

In about 3 weeks I'm going to Kodiak Island for Deer and I'll be carrying a Stainless Rem 700 in 7mm Rem mag with 160 grain AccuBonds, and a S&W 4" 686 with 240 grain hard cast bullets. The pistol is easier to carry with a pack frame full of meat.

In terms of muzzle energy, a .44 Magnum 240 grain bullet is about the same as a 170 grain bullet from a .30-30 Win, and about 1/3 of the energy from a 7 mm RM with a 160 grain bullet.

I used a .338 win mag for my moose and my buddy I was hunting with also uses a .338 win mag. That being said, his wife uses a .300wsm and has taken Bison, Moose, Caribou, and Brown Bear with it. So...

To the OP, "are bears a consideration..." Depends on the level of baranoia you have. Personally, I want a rifle that I feal can easily kill a bear if I have less than perfect shot opportunity, or need to put a second one in as they charge off into the bush. Depends on where you're hunting though... bears up north are not costal bears, there are on occasion some huge bears killed up north, but by and large I'd guess that the interior bears are maybe 300-400 pound tops. There is a big difference IMO, between hunting and killing a bear, and having to stop a wounded pissed off bear. Don't F up the first shot and you don't have to worry about the later. Doubtful that it really matters what you have in your hand if you need to stop a charging bear. There is little to no evidence that supports the theory that bigger will save your life. Every situation is different, and encounters are extremely rare.

If you haven't heard of this book "The Alaska Wolf Man" pick up a copy and read it. It will give you a sense of what hunting is about using state of the art weaponry in the 1930s +/- and the results. You will likely be surprised and entertained. Its an excellent book, and once you get a better lay of the land up here, and spend some time walking in Frank's footsteps, you will appreciate it that much more.

As I mentioned, there is no right or wrong answer, only you can make that choice after gathering all the information, and deciding for yourself. I have a number of bigger bore rifles, but rarely pack them. I have a number of rifles that I feel are "best" for a given circumstance/hunt. Hunting moose in the thick brushed swamp is different than hunting them in open terrain in the mountains where shots could be far. Our of the dozen or so moose I'm intimately familiar with, all shots were less than 100 yards with exception of 1, that was about 300. Same with Caribou, out of a couple dozen, shots where maybe 150 yards on average, many closer, and a couple a bit farther. I think the farthest was about 300. Sheep average about 250 yards. Bears have been similar to moose, etc. Shoots are not crazy far, and there is almost always a way to get closer.

Here is a list of big game rifles I hunt with up here... Some are blue/wood (gasp), some are SS. I don't dick around with multiple weights of bullets, I go for what I feel is optimum for case capacity/velocity/accuracy at typical hunting ranges, and roll one load and be done with it. They all have a purpose, and all are capable for any animal, but I let my mind dictate at the moment of truth when the safe opens... I wouldn't take some to hunt near salt water, nor would some get packed on a 10-day sheep hunt, or a float hunt, etc. The ones with * usually get to ride along for long trips, where maintenance could be a problem (i.e. long backpack trips). If I was hunting moose in thick bush, I'd probably take the 325/375, if there was a chance at caribou and distances may be farther, I'd take the 325, or 300, etc, etc. As I said, mental gymnastics, and the reason I don't own just one rifle. I couldn't do it... haha Could I get by with just one? Sure... I could also get by with an 8wt fly rod, and a 7 iron, but I like tripping over 2 dozen rods in the garage for 10 months out of the year, and I like improving my golf game.

260 - blue/plastic - caribou, deer, black bears, predators (have lighter rifles for mountain hunting, and I think there are better options for bigger critters, with a bit more room for error/recovery shots)
270 blue/wood - sheep, goats caribou, deer, black bears (similar to the 260, effective, but better options for bigger animals)
280 blue/wood - sheep, goats, caribou, deer, bears, moose
*308 - SS/syn - sheep, goats, caribou, deer, bears, moose
30/06 blue/wood - caribou, deer, bears, moose (have lighter rifles for mountain hunts)
300 WSM ss/syn - caribou, deer, bears, moose (have lighter rifles for mountain hunts)
*325 WSM ss/syn - caribou, deer, bears, moose (have lighter rifles for mountain hunts)
338-06AI blue/wood - caribou, deer, bears, moose (have lighter rifles for mountain hunts)
35 B/W blue/wood - sheep, goats, caribou, deer, bears, moose (7lb rifle, with brutal recoil, but fun to shoot)
*375 H&H blue/ss/syn - caribou, deer, bears, moose, and mastodons (have lighter rifles for mountain hunts)

Bambi,

Thank you for your insight. Hopefully, one day my golf bag will be full like yours.

I was in Cabela's for other things yesterday but always swing in the Gun Library. There was a Model 70 that was slicker than greased owl snot. If they are all that smooth, that may make the list as well. There was also an X Bolt in there and it felt good too. The only problem is it was 6.5 ChaiMocha like almost every used rifle I see. That caliber should have a special section so I can avoid it.

...*375 H&H blue/ss/syn - caribou, deer, bears, moose, and mastodons (have lighter rifles for mountain hunts)
Wow! A mastodon has been on my bucket list since I was a little kid (they were more common then :D).
Maybe I should take my .375 RUM on my upcoming December Kodiak deer hunt. Do you think I can still get a tag?

Wow! A mastodon has been on my bucket list since I was a little kid (they were more common then :D).
Maybe I should take my .375 RUM on my upcoming December Kodiak deer hunt. Do you think I can still get a tag?

Alaska has very “flexible” rules pertaining to Mastodons. As they are rare, no license require until after the kill......then there is a “considerable” Trophy Fee”! ;) They know that you can’t “sneak” one out! memtb

If you haven't heard of this book "The Alaska Wolf Man" pick up a copy and read it. It will give you a sense of what hunting is about using state of the art weaponry in the 1930s +/- and the results. You will likely be surprised and entertained. Its an excellent book, and once you get a better lay of the land up here, and spend some time walking in Frank's footsteps, you will appreciate it that much more.
I'm not sure I will ever get to Alaska but every program on tv I watch and wonder.
My son asked me what I wanted for Christmas, your book recommendation above will be on its way via Amazon
I also bought a book written by Dick Proenneke and watched his film, what a guy.
Thanks
Richard

Last edited:
... Some are blue/wood (gasp), some are SS. I don't dick around with multiple weights of bullets, I go for what I feel is optimum for case capacity/velocity/accuracy at typical hunting ranges, and roll one load and be done with it. They all have a purpose, and all are capable for any animal, but I let my mind dictate at the moment of truth when the safe opens

Amen! I also use blue/wood++++ and dont dick around with different weights of bullets ++++and always take two rifles. One for the animal I am hoping to find and one for the animal I might encounter

good post Bambistew

Just an update. For Christmas my wife got me that Model 70 I spoke of. It's a 270 Extreme Weather. I went with this because I think the .270 will make a dandy caribou rifle and effective, if a little light, for moose.

I've got a Beretta 686 Onyx that I rarely use and has found itself on the trade/sell block for a dedicated moose and bear rifle. I'm considering all options but highly considering a .375.
Thanks. Zach

Back