Rifle Deer

BiggWimm

This year I hunted for mule deer for the first in many years with a rifle. I now remember why I hunted with a bow for years. After getting shot at twice. Finding a dead buck with one leg blown off, rotting, and then locating three dead does, all shot with a rifle, rotting, even though there are no antlerless seasons, it will put that foul taste back into ones mouth.

Opening morning found me 5.5 miles in and at 10,000 feet in a draw where I had watched a 200 plus inch buck all summer, along with 8 other fellows who saw him. 2 of the fellows camped on a ridge 500 yards from this bucks favorite pines. Needless to say, he wasn't there when the sun came up. My hunting partner and I headed further up the hill, trying to put some distance between us and the other hunters. We were approaching 10,300 feet when two bucks came over the ridge, pushed from the next drainage. One was a decent 24" buck and the other buck was probably 26". The wider buck was a little shorter with weaker back forks. I decided to pass on him, since it was the first day. My partner decided to take the 24" buck as he didn't have much time to hunt do to family medical problems. We were laying down and the bucks kept coming. At 40 yards, my partner was getting ready to shoot when, from over 700 yards away, one ridge line, standing, and shooting freehand, 2 of the other hunters began firing. Mind you, we walked past them and were wearing bright orange. After bullets ricochet dangerously close to us, within 15', I stood up and began screaming profanities at them. My partner was able to get back on the deer and put the buck down on the run at about 300 yards.

After that, we dressed the deer, deboned it, and headed back to our camp. We decided to pack up camp and leave that spot. After that, I was on my own. I hiked many mountains, passed many small bucks, and found the dead deer. On my fifth day of hunting, I was almost shot again by two hunters trying to shoot a small two point. On day six I saw many does, one small two point, and then found a three point. My minimum standard is a three point, however, this buck was much smaller than I had in mind. It was snowing heavily, and I was getting frustrated with most of the rifle hunters :W:, I should say that a few were very courteous and ethical. The buck was at 124 yards. Then fog and snow rolled in and I couldn't see him anymore. I decided that if the weather cleared and he was still there, I would shoot him. After 15 minutes the weather cleared and he was still there.

So I decided to re-glass the valley and make sure there wasn't anything else in there. I only found 5 does. Then the snow and fog rolled back in. I said to myself, "Self, if that buck is still there when this clears, shoot him. It will be good table fare." After 30 minutes the weather cleared and he was still there.

So I shot him. He went 20', because it was downhill. Deboned him and 1.5 miles later I was back to the Jeep. Not a big buck by any means, but it will probably be the best tasting buck I have ever shot. Eh. Back to the bow.

First pic is my partners buck.
Second and third pictures are, well, my monster. (Notice the hat in the background. I put all of my orange as high as I could in the trees so people would see me down in the valley.)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 432
  • PA250004.jpg
    PA250004.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 429
  • PA250007.jpg
    PA250007.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 417
Holy crap it sounds like tough going with all those other hunters..and even more so when guys are shooting at deer way beyond their capabilities and putting your life at risk! Bit of a shame you couldn't find the big buck, wonder if he made it through or got dusted by another hunter?

Congrats on the deer. But when did a 300 yard running shot become ethical? Just my opinion

Congrats! Sounds like my one experience with a general rifle deer hunt in that state. What part of the state were you in?

havegun- I haven't heard of the buck getting shot. Usually the world is small enough to hear of a buck like that.

Mudranger- The buck made a fatal pause when he came out of a little gully and looked back. Plus, my buddy is a helluva shot. He makes it out shooting almost weekly and has quite the set up.

Pausing at 300 is one thing. Running at 300 is another no matter how good of a shot someone is. But it's cool it's great buck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back