Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

rifle build-this time IT"S FOR REAL!!

Thanks for the input. I have a lot to think aboiut now. I am a total neophite-how much of the work is it realistic that I do myself? I am particularly excited about having a rifle "I built myself", but, if i don't have the tools or skills-maybe I have somebody do the assembly but I pick the parts?

Thanks for the input. I have a lot to think aboiut now. I am a total neophite-how much of the work is it realistic that I do myself? I am particularly excited about having a rifle "I built myself", but, if i don't have the tools or skills-maybe I have somebody do the assembly but I pick the parts?

Depends on your skill level. I think most guys can pull off installing a composite stock, possibly even glass bedding it. Trigger work is not rocket science either and you can find instructions for most factory triggers on the interwebs and installation of a Timney or other after market trigger is as easy as following the instructions included. Mounting scopes and rings is pretty simple too, don't get wrapped around the axle with this process, again not as difficult as gun smiths would have you believe. The last 2 rifles I built I had a smith do the barrel work and chambering and did the rest myself. Once upon a time I was a machinist and I'm cnfident I could thread a barrel and chamber it but don't own a lathe so can't do it.

again not as difficult as gun smiths would have you believe.

I strongly disagree with this. If your looking for an extended project that may require reworking multiple times do the work yourself. You will probably learn a lot about bedding, , scope mounting, stocking and a variety of other interesting things. Trigger work is the one thing I would stay away from if you aren't experienced, bad triggers equal big problems.
If your looking for a rifle that will be your one to rule them all, have a competent gunsmith do the work. It will be done right the first time, if something isn't you take it back and don't have to decipher it yourself. You can buy all the components and work with the gunsmith to ensure the rifle is exactly what you want. Gunsmithing isn't tinkering or voodoo but it can be dangerous if not done properly.
clary6BR223WSSM.jpg

I strongly disagree with this. If your looking for an extended project that may require reworking multiple times do the work yourself. You will probably learn a lot about bedding, , scope mounting, stocking and a variety of other interesting things. Trigger work is the one thing I would stay away from if you aren't experienced, bad triggers equal big problems.
If your looking for a rifle that will be your one to rule them all, have a competent gunsmith do the work. It will be done right the first time, if something isn't you take it back and don't have to decipher it yourself. You can buy all the components and work with the gunsmith to ensure the rifle is exactly what you want. Gunsmithing isn't tinkering or voodoo but it can be dangerous if not done properly.
View attachment 34271

Nice pic but you took the quote out of context. I hardly see how mounting my own base, rings and scope could result in what is pictured. I don't advise anyone work on their own firearms unless they are confident in their ability to do so safely. Yadda yadda yadda.

Bedding is really easy and there is tons of info on the web on how to do it. The last project I did I bought a stock that was "rough out of mold" and did the filling, sanding, bedding and painting. Installed the trigger, installed and headspaced the barrel and chamber, made the recoil lug from scratch. I wanted to do as much as I could so I went with a Savage action. Yes they are not pretty but the fact it has the barrel lock nut makes it so easy. You get a top end barrel already threaded and chambered and the head spacing is adjusted by turning in the barrel in or out on a gage (or sized casing with thin masking tape on back of case). Is it real pretty?, no, but it is not ugly either but .500 groups without even developing a load is fine with me. .375 groups have been done and I am not capable of what the gun is. I was ringing my 12" target gong @700 yards consistant with it a week ago.
Another project that you can do is a Mauser build.

Attachments

• SANY0009.JPG
    SANY0009.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 1,240
Last edited:
i would go with a 7mm ultra mag with a vais brake on the end to reduce your recoil.I would also go with a remington action. You can also go with a carbon wraped barrle to reduce the wieght of the whole rifle.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back