Rifle Build on a pre-64 model 70 action

Factory featheweights are +/- that scoped. The featherweight barrel contour is pretty light, but you could go a little lighter and do some action machine work to really get it down. There is a guy in Palmer/Butte that is good with working down actions.

Of the shelf stocks are hard to come by for them, because not many people are putting plastic stocks on p64s, also not many customizing a 60 year old rifle either. McMillian will make one for you, unless they stopped making custom fitted stocks. They also used to sell uninletted blanks as well. I haven't looked for a P64 stock in a while, but when I was searching a while back HS, B&C and McMillian all made them, but may have discontinued since. A post 64 long action can be bubba'd to work as well, the action is about 0.125 longer. A little filler, bedding and paint

With a bunch of custom work to the action, a lighter (and shorter) barrel, ditch the bottom metal, and an Edge stock etc. you can get in the sub 6 range if I had to guess, mabye lighter. I would guess he'd be into it $2500 or more at the super light weight. For a more reasonable cost

#1 or 2 barrel at 22"
McMillian Edge stock (blind mag) or aluminum bottom metal. PT&G used to make them, not sure if they still do. Or hunt down factory featheweight bottom metal. Steel trigger and aluminum bottom plate. Others may make them.

Top with a lower power 32-40mm scope and tally rings

Sub 8 easy, closer to 7lbs

Factory featheweights are +/- that scoped. The featherweight barrel contour is pretty light, but you could go a little lighter and do some action machine work to really get it down. There is a guy in Palmer/Butte that is good with working down actions.

Of the shelf stocks are hard to come by for them, because not many people are putting plastic stocks on p64s, also not many customizing a 60 year old rifle either. McMillian will make one for you, unless they stopped making custom fitted stocks. They also used to sell uninletted blanks as well. I haven't looked for a P64 stock in a while, but when I was searching a while back HS, B&C and McMillian all made them, but may have discontinued since. A post 64 long action can be bubba'd to work as well, the action is about 0.125 longer. A little filler, bedding and paint

With a bunch of custom work to the action, a lighter (and shorter) barrel, ditch the bottom metal, and an Edge stock etc. you can get in the sub 6 range if I had to guess, mabye lighter. I would guess he'd be into it $2500 or more at the super light weight. For a more reasonable cost

#1 or 2 barrel at 22"
McMillian Edge stock (blind mag) or aluminum bottom metal. PT&G used to make them, not sure if they still do. Or hunt down factory featheweight bottom metal. Steel trigger and aluminum bottom plate. Others may make them.

Top with a lower power 32-40mm scope and tally rings

Sub 8 easy, closer to 7lbs
This is all generally what I think the goal is, thanks for typing that all out, I will forward along.

Seems your friend needs to decide if he wants to lug around extra weight to celebrate the lore of pre-64 or wants an accurate rifle ready for the weather of a mountain hunt while being lighter than a typical rifle used to shoot elk and mule deer. I have had rifles built. I use old mauser actions and they all end up heavier and more expensive than some options ready to buy. The custom guns are built to my specs and reflect what I value in a rifle. Do not let the friend cheap out on the trigger. A smooth trigger with a crisp break will make you hate any rifle that has a clumsy trigger.

This is all generally what I think the goal is, thanks for typing that all out, I will forward along.
Personally, if this is an "Alaskan" rifle build. I'd just sell the action and buy a SS rifle ready to go. Should be able to find a Montana for $1300ish, and have similar ergonomics. There are other options as well, but lack the same/similar amenities.

I have a p64 that sits in the safe. Too nice to take on a week long trip of rain/snow/alder busting. Most all of my SS rifles have rust on them.

Personally, if this is an "Alaskan" rifle build. I'd just sell the action and buy a SS rifle ready to go. Should be able to find a Montana for $1300ish, and have similar ergonomics. There are other options as well, but lack the same/similar amenities.

I have a p64 that sits in the safe. Too nice to take on a week long trip of rain/snow/alder busting. Most all of my SS rifles have rust on them.
I agree with much of what are saying. I adore my pre-64 model 70's, but they are heavy and so "wet weather weak".

A few years ago I spent $760, now $819 for a 5 3/4 pound SS snythetic stocked Kimber Hunter in 280AI. It has a scaled down model 70 action, 24 inch pencil barrel that cloverleaf's for the first three shots before is heats up.

I been down the custom rifle road. It was a fun and expensive ride.

Regarding the .270, a great caliber, had two, still have one, but being a reloader the 280AI rules my rifle roost

McMillan stocks run 32-36oz with standard fill. Edge fill is lighter, but they don’t publish much. A call would be useful. They probably have a pattern for everything that’s out there. If they don’t list it, again, call them. They used to offer custom inlets for literally anything, and if they didn’t have it you could send them your action, but there’s no way they don’t have a pre-64 model 70 pattern. That’s not a terribly light action, so I’d definitely look into the edge fill.

Cartridge? The only thing wrong with a .270Win is bullets. That has improved slightly in recent years, but, just like .257”, will likely never receive the same level of support from bullet manufacturers as .264” and .284”. Why this two won I do not know, but they are here to stay and too close to .257” and .277”. I would recommend .270Win, 280Rem, or 30-06 depending on his preferences. Being a controlled round feed action, I would not recommend a 280AI just in case of feed issues. Would there definitely be major issues? No. If there were, could they be fixed? Yes. BUT I hate to see people cutting and grinding on an action like that when it would have been perfectly wonderful to use a cartridge it was designed to feed.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t let people talk you out of using that action. While it’s one of the heavier actions, it’s still only a few ounces heavier than the lightest steel actions. Going to the edge fill over the standard fill would make up for that completely. A blind magazine(ADL style) would make up for most of it if your friend could tolerate it. A lightweight recoil pad or a plastic butt plate will shave a few ounces as well. If Talley or DNZ make ring/base combos, that is about 3oz lighter than the lightest separate rings and bases. Because your goal weight is reasonable, it should be reasonably simple to get there without changing actions.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back