Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rifle Build on a pre-64 model 70 action

AvidIndoorsman

A buddy has a pre64 model 70 action and wants to build a mountain rifle, let's say with scope <8lbs. I'm struggling to find stocks that fit the action online.

What would you all build.

Also if you just want to have fun spec-ing out a rifle...
Owner lives in AK
prefers .270 win (argue away on this choice)
does not reload

Last edited:
A quick googlin' brought me to a McMillan Pre-64 fiberglass stock option that looks like it'd fit the bill

A quick googlin' brought me to a McMillan Pre-64 fiberglass stock option that looks like it'd fit the bill
Fully ignorance question; How do you figure out weight with McMillan stocks? I was looking around on their website but couldn't determine which was a heavier v. lighter option?

I’ve used Bansner Sheephunter stocks on numerous M70 Classics. Would be worth a call to check on Pre 64 fit, I’d imagine it would be fine. Nothing wrong with the good old .270; if I ever build a Pre 64, that is what it will be. I’ve taken everything from antelope to AK/YK moose with that with outstanding results.

A buddy has a pre64 model 70 action and wants to build a mountain rifle, let's say with scope <8lbs. I'm struggling to find stocks that fit the action online.

Owner lives in AK
does not reload
Pre64 and mountain rifle are not really in the same boat. There are better options for a true mountain rifle. Hard to come in sub 8 lbs with that action and quality glass.

By all means build a 270 with it but be realistic on weight expectations. My hunting partner has one with the McMillan stock and it came in at 9.5lbs scoped. It’s a nice gun but he is now looking for something to use in the mountains. 2 seasons with it and he is tired of carrying it. Especially, when I hand him mine at 8lbs scoped and he feels the difference in weight.

Yeah Pre64win.com is a good outfit. Justin is very knowledgeable. I am working on a knife for him made out of ... dare I say it... cut up pre64 barrels.

It hurts me to say that. And when I fired up the bandsaw and started cutting them up brought a tear to my eye. I love pre 64s's and own quite a few.

Kevin Weaver does some nice work as well. I have handled and played with a few of his over the years as my friends use him almost exclusively for their model 70s.

Fully ignorance question; How do you figure out weight with McMillan stocks? I was looking around on their website but couldn't determine which was a heavier v. lighter option?
The McMillan Edge fill is their lighter option, it will be 6-8 ounces or so less than the standard fill in most of their stocks. I have a McMillan standard fill on my .300.

I’d go edge on the .270, a 22” barrel in something approximating a standard spotter barrel contour, and finish it all off in cerakote. Should be a great all around rifle.

McMillan Hunter's Edge sporter (edge fill)
22" standard sporter barrel with flutes for extra weight reduction
VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 1 inch tube.
Should be light enough.

And if he wants to go lighter, tell him to up the caliber because bigger bores require less metal. 280 Rem or 280 AI would be my go to, but 30-06 would probably be better weight savings. **this saves like 4 oz so it's not that big of a deal**

Owner lives in AK
does not reload

A McMillan edge fill or a brown precision stock is the way to go on a pre 64. Echols legend stock is another option but getting a hold of one is the hard part.
I’d also run a sporter contour barrel at 22”.

Kevin weaver does excellent work and knows m70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ksexton22
Back