Rifle brand. Howa, Tikka, Bergara...

Johnson6471

I am having trouble figuring out what rifle I want in a 300 win mag. I am doing research, and handling each rifle. I want to know what you guys think. What's in your opinion the most reliable brand?

Not sure what you're really after. The heart is an exceedingly nuanced thing. But if you're looking for a lightweight, reliable, rifle of relatively simple design you're going to have a hard time beating a T3X.

I do agree. However, I like the stock of the bergara and howa and others so I am leaning towards one with a polymer type stock

Johnson,
As was mentioned, the Tikka T3X has a synthetic stock. The T3X Hunter has a wood stock.
Go with what fits you best.

Got my tikka t3x in 300 win mag.. that thing is a work of art. Trigger is so crisp and the rifle itself was just over 6 lbs. meaning for hunting once you get that scope with base and rings possible bipod your sitting at a nice light rifle to go into the woods with. But I can’t harp on any other brands. Except for the savage accu trigger which I dislike and I’m glad I didn’t go with it. But from what I hear, howa is solid as well as browning.

I am very happy with my Howa 30-06. My 300 WM is a savage 110 and shoots well, although it thumps me pretty hard. I think my next 300 wm will be a Howa after how impressed I am with the 30-06.

You're getting into the same debate as Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. ......
Is there a right answer? Not really, but at the same time hearing opinions may get you sold on one in particular or get you interested in one you hadn't thought of. Cushman's advice is pretty solid, the right rifle will find you. Look them all over, shoulder them at the gun store, see if one of them just has a certain 'something' that you really like. A friend of mine just bought a Browning Hell's Canyon in 300 WM, the little bit I shot it I was impressed and if it's in the price range, I'd say give that a look as well as the ones you mentioned. If you're around some guys who own a few of the ones you're considering, see if you can give 'em a test run. Lots of good choices and buying a rifle is always fun.

I love my tikkas but not fan of the factory stock (feels oddly small to me) - all are in B&C stocks now. YMMV. Also have howa 1500 in HS precision stock and love it. But I have a hankering to try a Bergara highlander too. Lots of great options. Pick the one that best fits your frame and your budget.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in .270. I was having a similar Ford/Chevy debate going on within myself. I have a Tikka in .308 and its been my go to for some years. My problem was I wanted the simple, lightweight design (very nearly just got another T3X) but I handload and wanted a longer barrel for the .270. Tikka only comes with a 22.4" barrel. This search ultimately led me to the Wilderness. Haven't shot it yet, so we'll see.

My wife was getting a little tiered of me fretting over these details that seem so small. I mean, how much difference could 1.6" really make in the end? Enough to cause me to pour over tons of reloading data and product reviews and wring my hands over it all. Its funny how we hunters can do that.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness in .270. I was having a similar Ford/Chevy debate going on within myself. I have a Tikka in .308 and its been my go to for some years. My problem was I wanted the simple, lightweight design (very nearly just got another T3X) but I handload and wanted a longer barrel for the .270. Tikka only comes with a 22.4" barrel. This search ultimately led me to the Wilderness. Haven't shot it yet, so we'll see.

My wife was getting a little tiered of me fretting over these details that seem so small. I mean, how much difference could 1.6" really make in the end? Enough to cause me to pour over tons of reloading data and product reviews and wring my hands over it all. Its funny how we hunters can do that.
You would think she would know how much 1.6” difference would make... another thing I love about my tikka is the way the bolt feels. Open and closing how smooth it is. Feels like just enough space to feel like butter but not too lose where it seems sloppy. But like others have said in that 700-1100$ range you shouldn’t be dissatisfied in any rifle for hunting as long as it fits you well.

Just bought a Bergara in .22-250 this spring. Had been leaning towards Howa because I just couldn’t find much written about Bergara. But once I got hands on them I really liked the feel of the Bergara for some reason. Has shot phenomenally since it came out of the box. Love the stock- synthetic but a tiny bit grippy. Will be nice in the sub-zero I’m thinking. The bolt is silky smooth, trigger is light and crisp. It all around feels like a quality rifle. It’s a shooter and I love it.

I doubt you could go wrong with any that have been mentioned though.

These help me decide what to get thread's always make me wonder who helped the person starting them pick out his wife! :) My advice is pretty much always the same, go handle rifle's and find one you like, kind of like picking out a wife but more serious! These days I think it would be hard to pick out a bad rifle so for me it boils down to what do you like! Say someone convince's you to get one brand and there don't exist in your area. What now, buy one sight unseen? I an a huge fan of round action rifles but I do have a mod 70 I like very well. Get a Friday rifle from the best maker and it could have problems. I think most rifle today, if not all, are very reliable. Get one that appeals to you!

Back