MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

rifle bedding

the nikster

I think I have talked myself into shooting a couple of groups through my rifle to determine the most accurate ammo/rifle combo. Then I intend to bed the action and first couple inches of barrel. Then fire the same groups to determine: A. Most accurate load before and after, and B. Is there a big difference between before and after.

How many of you have bedded a rifle? Do you feel you got a measurable POSITIVE result.
Would you recommend it for DIY if I pay attention to detail?

I believe that all bolt rifles should be bedded. A properley bedded rifle will shoot more consistently than a non-bedded rifle. An improperly bedded rifle will definietly shoot worse than a non-bedded one. Use alot of release agent and follow the directions exactly. Let us know how it turns out!

I've bedded a few rifles. All have made notable accuracy improvements.

I really like Brownells Accra-glass gel in a green box, I believe.

Follow the directions to the T, take your time and take your time. If I can do it, anyone can.

What is that you say?...put my rifle in my bed? Rifles take up too much room where as a pistol under the pillow works just fine.

On a more serious note I don't own a bedded rifle. I've heard there is suppose to be some increased accuracy so I'm curious what you find. What is the theory of why accuracy is improved? It seems to me that if you just hold the rifle the same way every time after all the whipping, jumping, recoiling, and smoking invloved with a shot the end result will be the same.

I've bedded two.
Used the Accra-glass gel like T-Bone.
Both involved new stocks, so I can't say it was all my bedding work, but both improved.

.338 went from 1.1 to .8 M.O.A.

.270 went from .8 M.O.A but picky, to .5 M.O.A. and now shoots anything good.
(that' .5 when i do my part)

What is the theory of why accuracy is improved? It seems to me that if you just hold the rifle the same way every time after all the whipping, jumping, recoiling, and smoking invloved with a shot the end result will be the same.

With bedding there is no way for the action to get 'twisted' in the stock, once you fire the action and stock seperate and move around a little, with bedding there is no wiggle room.

I've yet to bed a rifle that didn't shoot better after. Its not difficult to do, takes about an hour give or take.

So if I get this right, bedding is like welding your stock to your action which is attached to your barrel or is it like welding your stock to your action and your barrel depending on how you bed it? Also do you use the same bedding material for a wood stock vs. synthetic?

So if I get this right, bedding is like welding your stock to your action which is attached to your barrel or is it like welding your stock to your action and your barrel depending on how you bed it? Also do you use the same bedding material for a wood stock vs. synthetic?

Most will bed the action and the first couple inches of barrel that would make up where the chamber lies.
Another good thing about bedding is it keeps the gun zero'd better if you drop it or remove the stock and reinstall for cleaning.
DO a search on google, lots of good info on how to do it. I have used Devcon steel epoxy with good results on synth stocks. Prep the area well and rough it up to give the bedding material something to bite into

It's not exactly like welding as the stock/barreled action should still be able to come apart. It just ensures a more stable, exact fit so that there is no movement between the action and stock. That said, I'm still waiting to do my first as well... ;)

2nd the devcon the amount of metal in it is crazy. Consistency is the key. Don't know what your skills are but putting epoxy pillars in and bedding the floorplate will save some headaches down the road. I say bed it.

Seems Aluminum bedding is taking place for the glass bedding? I had a friend handle the action portion with some form of aluminum bedding though it stayed with the action aspect. I understood if to continue bedding on any portion of the barrel - it has a potential for adversely effecting the harmonics...? This is more a question than a comment.

I bed every gun that I take serious, more because I trust it to hold zero better afterwards than for the accuracy improvement, though both are nice. Devcon 10110 steel epoxy is the way to go, much better than Accraglas. Paying attention to what you are doing is key. Use plenty of release agent, mask the stock off well, make sure you have eliminated any potential mechanical locks with modeling clay, and clean up overrun before it hardens too much. There are a few decent tutorials on the internet.

Sytes, do you mean your friend bedded it with aluminum epoxy, or that the stock used had an aluminum bedding block? Bedding with aluminum epoxy would be an alternative to glass. If it is the bedding block, like on HS precision stocks, I'm not convinced they do anything except stiffen the stock. They may actually make it harder to get a proper action/stock fit.

Interesting Carl. Thanks for the response. I think the "block" portion may be more along the lines. If I recall correctly it is bolted down in some fashion - if I remember the conversation correctly... (Heh, been a couple years) - vs epoxied. Thanks for the info.

Alright guys. I'm going to southern Utah on Monday and will begin the whole process with some shooting and hope to have the bedding done by next weekend.

Seems Aluminum bedding is taking place for the glass bedding? I had a friend handle the action portion with some form of aluminum bedding though it stayed with the action aspect. I understood if to continue bedding on any portion of the barrel - it has a potential for adversely effecting the harmonics...? This is more a question than a comment.

Yes and no...I still skim bed an aluminium bedding block. There is still a lot of play with bedding blocks, as they are mass produced.

HS says no need to, but guys that are tinkerers or are serious about achieving the most accuracy/repeatability in a gun will skim bed with steel bed or devcon.

I might add if your going to bed, you may as well do it up right the first time and pillar bed the action and free float the barrel..on the free floating, i usually run a test before I do it to see if the gun shoots better with or without forward pressure. Using match books or aluminum foil as shims.

Do guys like to skim bed. I've always preferred to rip it out and get as much epoxy in as I can due to the fact devcon is so hard its brittle when its thin.

Have a Savage Model 12 BVSS in 300 WSM. I had the action epoxy bedded and a break put on by Knapp's Custom guns. Minor work, but with reloads I shoot .35" (or less) at 100 yards, and with the break on a 12lb magnum rifle, I can almost watch bullet impact. Kind of like shooting a heavy .223. Not bad for a factory rifle. I'd say it made a tremendous positive result for me. But I think a lot has to do with a good gunsmith and attention to detail.

Before you bed the action, be sure to relieve the stock and magazine channel. Clearance about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of stock material, be it wood or composite. Be sure to coat everything that you don't want bedding compound to stick to with release agent....TWICE! Apply the first coat and let it dry thoroughly then apply a second coat and let it dry before you set the action in the stock. Look up and read a couple of articles on bedding stocks and it might save you some heartache.

Devcon

I use Imperial Reloading wax for a release agent, there are a few good common options, most reloading lubes will work. Get modeling clay and masking tape at your local craft store and you're good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back