Rifle Advice?

MTbowhunter84

Trying to make a decision and need some help. I have a Savage Model 12 varm. that's wood laminate, stainless, and heavy fluted barrel in .22-250. I scoped it with a Burris 6.5-20x50 in stainless with b-plex. Love the rifle, I just don't shoot it all that much and have it set up for mainly prairie dogs and coyotes, but thinking of selling it to buy a more all around rifle. I'm thinking along the lines of .270 or .280. Just something to use on coyotes up to elk. I already have a .308, but don't shoot that much either. Have been stuck on archery for the most part as of late. I shot my first bull with a .270 and was pleased with the performance with 150 gr. round. Not in any big hurry to get rid of the rifle I have, but think I would get more use out of something else. Would it be worth my time to wait until I have the money for another rifle or sell the one I have and replace the old?

I don't think a .270 or. 280 are going to do anything that your .308 can't.
You stated that your .308 sits around now.Why buy another gun in the same caliber slot, just to sit around with it?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 270 in a similar configuration as a 308 I already had as I see them as peas in a pod. What one will do the other will. That said, you could sell you Savage and use that money to do one of two things: 1. use the money and take the 308 on a hunt you've never been on before or 2. upgrade the 308 (new/better scope, stronger/ligher stock).

Rifles can serve two functions depending on your preference. They can be tools used for putting meat on the table or they can be toys used for pleasure and putting meat on the table. If you choose to view them in the untilitarian function then you may want to consider something diverse from something you already have. If you choose the latter application, then buy whatever perks your fancy because you'll buy more later. It's about what you want not what you need. All of that said, take a serious look a tthe Tikka and CZ rifles. Right now, for the quality vs. cost aspects, they are probably the best buys available. I would give serious looks at the 325 WSM cartidge.

I have a Savage Model 12 varm. that's wood laminate, stainless, and heavy fluted barrel in .22-250. I scoped it with a Burris 6.5-20x50 in stainless with b-plex. Love the rifle, I just don't shoot it all that much

If you love a rifle, don't sell it just because you haven't fired it in a while. Even if you never need it for anything, you will miss it-- you will regret not having it-- maybe just for the fact that it's gone. Why not sell the .308? Is it a family heirloom? I guess I just don't see the point in selling off a 22-250 to buy into a caliber that will essentially duplicate the .308 that you already have. But if what you really want is just one rifle to go from coyotes to elk, you could sell both rifles and buy something really nice in one of the various .25's....

I asked a similar question a little while ago here. I received good advise. Basically, the advise I was given said to save the money you would use on a new rifle and apply it towards a hunt. You said you need a gun to go from coyotes to Elk. You already have that with the 2 rifles you have. .308 is a nice caliber for what you need, especially considering you have the 22-250. Unless its just that you don't like the specific features of the rifle, I'd stick with what you have.

Although I truly love my 7mm/08 for general hunting on light game, my "Go To' for the past 42 yrs has been a .308. Take yours out of the corner, play with it, tweek it, become a friend with it. There is nothing a 270, or 280, can do for all practical purposes that the .308 won't.

Well you guys made that too easy. Cleaned up the .308 now just need to get some time behind the trigger and keeping my .22-250. Thanks for the advice guessing saved me some heartache of selling my .22-250.

Just tossing this in as an afterthought. Many year ago I took a Rem 600, in a .308 that out of the box that pretty much grouped around 3'-4" MOA regardless of what I pumped through it. Iron sights, scoped, didn't matter. But it was my 16th birthday present from my Dad. I was all ready to cash it in, until my CO in Desert Storm told me the same thing I just wrote you.

Stripped the finish and replaced it with new stain and an oil finish. Shot the dried up factory goo out of the trigger with 2 cans of WD. Free floated the barrel channel and glass bedded the receiver.

It took a relaxed summer of tinkering , but that little 600 went from 4" disaster to a sub MOA tack driver......with Walmart "on Sale" factory ammo.

Still kicks like Hell though....................

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back