Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifle Accuracy Question

A little more info on how I broke the barrel in is probably a good point to add.

I shot the gun 3 times cleaning the barrel after each of the first 3 shots. I haven't cleaned it since those initial three shots. I now have ~50 rounds through it. I don't know if this is a factor to consider?

If the scope is bad, then the group size would still increase in direct proportion to distance. 1.5" at 100 becomes 3.9" at 260. You reported 20" at 260. That is an increase of 5.1 times what would be expected from a bad scope problem

Not necessarily true if the parallax is really screwed up. Also, he said he dialed it, so there is that variable as well.

Bullets would have to come out sideways to make 20" groups at 260.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dialing for 260 yards? Start fresh, next range session. Shoot for groups not hitting the bullseye. Start with a plan. Decide what distance you want your zero. Say around 250, then you will be around 2 in high at 100. I suggest watching a few videos on YouTube or search here for ideas on zeroing new rifle. Start at 100, dont move longer until your satisfied with group. Use same POA (point of aim) at all distances, dont dial for yardage. Take your time, 100, 150, 200 so on. Repeat each distance exactly the same if you are trying to solve a problem along the way.

Also understand parallax, it took me 40 years before i had the "ah ha" moment. YouTube has good short explanation videos

A little more info on how I broke the barrel in is probably a good point to add.

I shot the gun 3 times cleaning the barrel after each of the first 3 shots. I haven't cleaned it since those initial three shots. I now have ~50 rounds through it. I don't know if this is a factor to consider?

I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with the scope dials. That seems like a bit of a long shot though. Do you have another scope or another rifle that you know shoots well to give a try?

Even if you're only getting 1.5 inches at 100, there's absolutely no reason you should be at 20 inches at 260. It's not that far of a jump to have shooting positions or technique matter all that much. If you were at 6" I wouldn't be surprised though.

Rifle break-in shouldn't have anything to do with this unless you're shooting rocks down your barrel.

I looked at this thread early. Why is mtmuley asking these questions and says he does not shoot much. Do not like similar names because if confuses the old guys. I am an old guy.

Last edited:
Gotta be some level of shooter error? Sorry. Please forgive. Take another rifle with and see how it shoots at the same range. Bedding issue? Action screws loose?

I need to see if I can get my username changed, this mix up has been happening a lot lately. Apologies to mtmuley for trying to steal his identity.

I have had hunting buddies shoot terrible groups and try to figure it out by changing too many variables at one time. First like others said do not dial the scope for the longer shots. If they hit a few inches off of the bull it doesn't matter. What you are looking for is a consistent group. I have had others tell me at a range that my targets were not good because I never hit the bull even if they basically made one big hole. Shooting for a group is different than sighting the rifle in. Once you shoot good groups then adjust the scope.
Shoot 3-5 shots at a time then let it cool a little.
Practice dry firing to see if you catch yourself reacting to the expected noise and recoil.

Personally I doubt it is the ammo. You might find something that shoots better but I doubt the ammo is the cause of a 20" group at 260 yards.
Let someone else shoot the gun.

All have been suggested by others and they are all good suggestions.
I also have never seen anyone shoot a decent group from a lead sled including myself. I do not like them. There is a learning curve to being able to shoot accurately off of them.

I have the same rifle and scope combo and shoot the same 143 ELD-X. Mine is about .5-.75MOA and can dial out to 1000yd pretty easy. I'd take a more experienced shooter out with you to check your setup and results. Both the gun and scope have a good warranty if you find something wrong.

Clean it! Then when you think it’s clean, clean it again. 3 rounds is not enough break in. The bores can be cut rough and it takes quite a few rounds to polish it up. My guess is you have a lot of copper built up.

1. The spread you have has nothing to do with Parallax with groups that size.
2. Clean the gun extremely well this means bolt and trigger as well.
3. Check every screw on action and the rings and bases. If someone mounted it for you they could of
done it poorly.
4. Go shoot some small groups.

Concentrate on trigger squeeze, cheek weld, make sure you are pulling the stock into your shoulder with the same pressure each shot. Load the bipod slightly if shooting off a bipod.

FYI - After tons of reading and talking to some folks who take long range shots that matter I have stopped worrying about break-in procedures. I do a quick CLP patch through a new barrel to remove any debris from mfg/shipping. Shoot 3 rounds. 1 quick patch with with hoppes or CLP and I am done. Over the last couple of year I have setup a dozen or so sub-$1,000 rifles for my self and buddies and all are 1.0 MOA or better with no messing around with old school break-in procedures - but as always, YMMV.

Also, for hunting, no reason to clean barrel more than every 50 rounds or so. Again, some who do this for a living advocate "shooting dirty".

I had to check 3 times with the username too..

Scope and mount security not the issue. Viper HST to begin with. Not a $30 Tasco.
1.5" groups at 100 yardsthen spreading out at 200, and back to 1.5" at 100 is not the scope or mount.

OP claims to shoot 243 well. So manbun not an issue.
Front and rear bags. About as stabile as you can possibly get.

Issue is barrel doesn't like that bullet/velocity combination.
Barrel is not at same position in the harmonics cycle when the bullet comes out the end.
The greater distance just exagerates the condition.
Hence why most long distance shooters test grouping at 300 or better yards.

Back