Rifle Accuracy Question

Art that would affect you equally at 260 yds. That's why I think you have some other problem.

It is always fun to try to dissect someone else's problem from a 1000 miles away over the net. :)

Well mostly the frigid cold conditions. I had the rifle on my bags which were resting on my tailgate so I was kneeling in the snow. Probably not the ideal setup.

Wait till July to shoot up there when it's 100 degrees instead of 30 below. mtmuley

To the OP, I say go get 4 boxes of the cheapest ammo you can find in a lighter bullet like a 120-130gr., and shoot em up over two or three trips to the range.
Shoot at 200yrds or less, preferably at multiple targets each session starting at 50yrds .
Clean the barrel good after each session of shooting.
I'll bet after that the ammo you have now will give better results. Both because of barrel break in and more importantly, familiarity and practice with your new rifle.

Well mostly the frigid cold conditions. I had the rifle on my bags which were resting on my tailgate so I was kneeling in the snow. Probably not the ideal setup.

Not really. Throw out a tarp and sleeping bag so you can prone out.

Are you making sure to control your muzzle jump? If it's bouncing on you, that could easily open up the groups at that distance.

That ammo should shoot very well (based on reputation, at least). Barrel break in is irrelevant and would not cause any of your issues. If the gun was dropped on the barrel crown, it could be a factor, but i doubt that happened. The Vortex scope could be an issue, as they have a reputation for not being too swell. I just could not believe that factory Hornady ammo is your problem.

Im surprised no one has said this more, change the ammo ! I was having the same problems in my Tikka 7mm . Look at the lead sled results below. 3 different manufacturers of ammo Tikka1.jpg

Art are you shooting at the shooting sports complex? If so go to the 200 yard range where the class room sits. It is the most protected range from the wind and has concrete benches under a cover.

Good luck,
Dan

Art are you shooting at the shooting sports complex? If so go to the 200 yard range where the class room sits. It is the most protected range from the wind and has concrete benches under a cover.

Good luck,
Dan

I haven't been shooting there, I believe the roads are drifted in and it has been closed for a couple of weeks. Maybe someday winter will let up and I can get out there for another go.

Wait till July to shoot up there when it's 100 degrees instead of 30 below. mtmuley

One flaw with this idea. Guy live's in Great Falls and probably gonna be fishing when it 100* out. My favorite time for working on rifles is spring. The temp you'd be shooting in is much closer to the temp's you'll hunt in. I do know of people that will claim to have hunted in 30 below temp's but guarantee you in that temp range, I'm sitting by the fire place! Shoot your rifle in your comfort zone and forget it.

My first check would be the scope. Check rings and base. Make sure they are torqued properly. Next, I would clean the rifle thoroughly. After that I would try a few different bullet brands and or weights. I shoot the hornady 143’s and 140’s in both my 6.5’s and get 1/4” groups if I do my part. If none of that works, I would swap scopes just to be sure the crosshairs aren’t moving from recoil. I had a zeiss diavari that did that. After that I would take the gun back and get a custom built with a 1/2” MOA guarantee. That’s the route I went years back and cannot see me taking the gamble on a factory gun again.

I would shoot 150 and 200 before removing the scope. And I would definitely find something more stable than a tailgate.

Agree with all prior. Don't dial. Just aim for center and check the group. Have someone else shoot it. Doesn't hurt to shoot slowly and a have a consistent temp on the barrel. Overheating isn't a big problem for you like it is for me in Southern AZ.

Don't agree it needs to be cleaned that much. I'm at 300+ rounds since cleaning and still 2-3" groups at 200. Variance is the shooter (me), not the rifle.

The Vortex HST has a parallax dial. Are you using it? I'm shooting an HST 6-24 x 50 fine on a Ruger Precision 6.5 CM. Nothing long range but routinely 350 with enough accuracy to hit a pie plate.

Back