Riddle me this.

Bullets don't "knock" animals over. I 've had double lunged antelooe shot with a 200 grain bullet from a .300 RUM run a ways. mtmuley
Ain't much to an antelope and they have a high centre of gravity relative to other game species. I have "knocked over" plenty of animals a lot bigger than antelope with a single shot in the boiler room, including this wildebeest that went feet up with one shot through the shoulder at 110 yards, 165 gr 30-06 Partition. The bullet was lodged just under the hide of opposite shoulder.
2019-08-23 wildebeest.JPG

I don't know of many folks who go after antelope with heavy bullets and magnums but if it works, what the heck. I suspect you're using solids that don't expand a lot? I also suspect the range was somewhat more than 70 yards.

Bullets do weird stuff sometimes. My son shot a doe last week with a 130 grain ttsx from a .308. The bullet appeared to have turned like, 70 degrees on contact with the ribs. it made a pencil hole in the hide, broke 3 different ribs just under the skin, then exited (with a small hole) just ahead of the haunch on the off-side. The deer was almost broadside. Lungs and heart were untouched, but there was a lot of internal damage. The deer made it about 40 yards.

The problem is at that range if the bullet is moving ultra high speed, you can expect some splatter factor especially if the bullet is lightweight. Fancy solids hold together a bit better but energy still must go somewhere. Where you just don't know. With very fast lighter bullets at close range you're looking at significantly higher energy on impact and therefore less predictable what happens afterwards. Bullets/cartridges designed for 500 yard shooting will kill just as effectively at fifty yards but the outcome can be a lot messier.

What weight and velocity were you shooting?
7mm-08 140 factory loads. Idk the velocity

7mm-08 140 factory loads. Idk the velocity

You see now, what you need to do is ditch that little pop gun of yours. Even with a good hit in the boiler room, you’re going to run into problems. Get yourself a real heavy hitter like an ‘06 that slings bullets at real supersonic speeds. That is the real recipe for success….

Ain't much to an antelope and they have a high centre of gravity relative to other game species. I have "knocked over" plenty of animals a lot bigger than antelope with a single shot in the boiler room, including this wildebeest that went feet up with one shot through the shoulder at 110 yards, 165 gr 30-06 Partition. The bullet was lodged just under the hide of opposite shoulder.
View attachment 198183

I don't know of many folks who go after antelope with heavy bullets and magnums but if it works, what the heck. I suspect you're using solids that don't expand a lot? I also suspect the range was somewhat more than 70 yards.
I suspect you are wrong. mtmuley

Speed of sound is 1125 fps. So that explains the boom.
giphy.gif

Shotgun slugs do some weird things inside an animal. Shot a buck at 160 once which is a poke with slugs. Hit him in the brisket broadside dropped like a rock. Tiny hole going in and no exit. Butchered him myself, never found the slug no idea where it went. Another was 70 yards broadside entered right behind the shoulder but exited right in front of the opposite hind leg.

Heh, heh. I was speaking metaphorically of course. Damn hard to type with so much pie in my eyes.

Seems to me that most critters that are knocked over got hit in the spinal column. Many people tout the high shoulder shot which is really a spine shot. I personally do not like messing up the shoulders or loosing some backstrap so I aim for the pit or just behind it. To each their own. I understand that with the mono's you are advised to aim for the shoulder because you can eat right up to the hole. Just haven't practiced hunting with those yet.

Factory 140 gr loads should be about 2800 which isn't supersonic by any means.
Speed of sound is roughly 1123fps, so that’s technical 2.5X the speed of sound. VERY supersonic. Feel free to clarify what you meant.

Heh, heh. I was speaking metaphorically of course. Damn hard to type with so much pie in my eyes.
I’m just going to assume that you meant that 2800fps wasn’t super crazy fast.

I’ve made similar dumb mistakes.

708. I was figuring that but at that range it should have enough speed and power to blow straight through. She went about 75 is yards on a death run
Higher impact velocities and pointier bullets have higher deflections when they hit something. It doesn’t matter if they are hitting flesh, bone, grass or sticks. Blunt bullets at low velocity go fairly straight even after impacting objects, and sharp pointed bullets at high velocity deflect significantly after impacting objects, even objects that seem meaningless.

I shot a Prarie Dog with my duece 250 with a Nosler BT 40gr at around 4000fps. He was under a 100 yds and I center punched him...his arse went through his head and brains came out his stomach. Never did find the bullet. Unfortunately his back straps were ruined. Wait what are we talking about again??

Deflection at high speeds does weird stuff. At one time Barnes had a slo-mo video clip of a buck being shot with a TSX. Looked like that buck was inflated like a balloon and then deflated.
Pretty much the only time an animal will get "knocked off its feet" is with a central nervous hit, high shoulder, neck, head, if the bullets hit close enough to the spinal column. I prefer the boiler room, less blood shot meat and I have been shooting mono's for over twenty years. Shoulder shots, even with mono's will allow blood to pool between the blade and the ribs and there is a lot more bone to hit which creates secondary projectiles that cause damage and bloodshot meat. My 2 cents.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back