Riddle me this.

CowboyLeroy

I shot a doe tonight with an e tip for the first time. Normally I'd go for a high neck or a head shot but I decided to do some live animal testing. 75ish yards, perfect broadside, right in the armpit. Deer takes off very little blood, find her piled up down the field road not far away. I roll her over and the exit hole is halfway down her rib cage.

Come necropolis time she has a hole in her heart, yet somehow her liver looked like it had been hit with a chainsaw, and was completely destroyed right at the point where it makes contact with the stomach.

Hooray.

Long story short deer died, but geometry is hard. Plenty of meat of a nice fat doe but I'm just curious about this happening on such a chip shot.

What caliber did you use? If you were driving a bullet fast it may have hit a rib and the bullet ether tumbled or tweaked on the way through. How far did she go?

I had a similar experience with the buck I killed this past week. Fairly close shot (210 yards) perfectly broadside, entrance wound right behind the shoulder midway up the body, exit wound out the paunch pretty close to the hind quarter. He stumbled for a few moments and just as I was about to put a second shot in him, he fell over and died. I was way down in a canyon so used the gutless method to quarter him and don’t know exactly what the path of the bullet was nor the extent of the internal damage, but he was dead within 20 seconds. My guess is the bullet hit a rib on the entrance side in such a way as to turn it goofy. This was with a 123 grain Hammer with a mv of about 3050 fps. No complaints about the bullet performance, but I also found that sort of interesting.

What caliber did you use? If you were driving a bullet fast it may have hit a rib and the bullet ether tumbled or tweaked on the way through. How far did she go?
708. I was figuring that but at that range it should have enough speed and power to blow straight through. She went about 75 is yards on a death run

I had a similar experience with the buck I killed this past week. Fairly close shot (210 yards) perfectly broadside, entrance wound right behind the shoulder midway up the body, exit wound out the paunch pretty close to the hind quarter. He stumbled for a few moments and just as I was about to put a second shot in him, he fell over and died. I was way down in a canyon so used the gutless method to quarter him and don’t know exactly what the path of the bullet was nor the extent of the internal damage, but he was dead within 20 seconds. My guess is the bullet hit a rib on the entrance side in such a way as to turn it goofy. This was with a 123 grain Hammer with a mv of about 3050 fps. No complaints about the bullet performance, but I also found that sort of interesting.
Same here the bullet worked great I just can figure out how it went in, hit the heart, turned 90°, hit the liver, turned 45°, and exited. Especially at such a close range. You would think at that close and with it being a whitetail doe it would just bulldoze through it

Using TTSX I have had a number of kills where I had a pencil hole in and a slightly larger pencil hole out and in between both lungs looked like they had been put through a blender. I am not sure what that bullet is doing in there, but it is effective for sure. Have personally seen dozens of animals killed with decent placed TTSX bullets and have yet to see one go more than 50 yards. Each had a bit different bullet path, but all did their job.

I shot a doe tonight with an e tip for the first time. Normally I'd go for a high neck or a head shot but I decided to do some live animal testing. 75ish yards, perfect broadside, right in the armpit. Deer takes off very little blood, find her piled up down the field road not far away. I roll her over and the exit hole is halfway down her rib cage.

Come necropolis time she has a hole in her heart, yet somehow her liver looked like it had been hit with a chainsaw, and was completely destroyed right at the point where it makes contact with the stomach.

Hooray.

Long story short deer died, but geometry is hard. Plenty of meat of a nice fat doe but I'm just curious about this happening on such a chip shot.

The Etip could have shed/shredded a petal off and that’s what ripped the liver.
Also sometimes an animal looks perfectly broadside but they are standing at a slight angle still results in an exit further back or further forward than expected.

Using TTSX I have had a number of kills where I had a pencil hole in and a slightly larger pencil hole out and in between both lungs looked like they had been put through a blender. I am not sure what that bullet is doing in there, but it is effective for sure. Have personally seen dozens of animals killed with decent placed TTSX bullets and have yet to see one go more than 50 yards. Each had a bit different bullet path, but all did their job.
That's what hearing, it's just strange circumstances I suppose

This has been my experience as well. In the past 12 months I've killed an elk, mule deer, and antelope with the TTSX in two different rifles, pencil holes on either end but great performance in between.

When a bullet exits a vacuum is created that pulls soft tissue with it. This and fragmentation might account for some of the damage.

Last edited:
Pics? mtmuley

I just can figure out how it went in, hit the heart, turned 90°, hit the liver, turned 45°, and exited.
fullwidth.7fb52f85.jpg

I took a broadside shot with a partition on a muley and had an exit wound on the same side as the entrance wound 🤷‍♂️

I took a broadside shot with a partition on a muley and had an exit wound on the same side as the entrance wound 🤷‍♂️
See, post #13 - the magic bullet ;)

I seem to remember a shot on a hog with a 25 caliber Ballistic Tip that went in the shoulder and came out the head on Ballistic Studies.

Creatures aren't the same as punching paper.

708. I was figuring that but at that range it should have enough speed and power to blow straight through. She went about 75 is yards on a death run
The problem is at that range if the bullet is moving ultra high speed, you can expect some splatter factor especially if the bullet is lightweight. Fancy solids hold together a bit better but energy still must go somewhere. Where you just don't know. With very fast lighter bullets at close range you're looking at significantly higher energy on impact and therefore less predictable what happens afterwards. Bullets/cartridges designed for 500 yard shooting will kill just as effectively at fifty yards but the outcome can be a lot messier.

What weight and velocity were you shooting?

Ok, I'll jump in.
I know a guy that got shot in the head with a 45 auto ( long story why )
At under 2 feet.
The bullet went in just under his forehead hairline and did not penetrate his skull.
It followed the skin and came out his neck, one lucky guy.

I just shot an antelope at 388 yards walking sideways to me.
I was using a 200 gr Barnes TSX that started at 3200 fps.
Went in just behind the onside shoulder went through both lungs, destroying them both, took the top off the heart and out the other side making a silver dollar-sized hole, ribs made no deflection. You could have run a fence post through in the wound path. He still ran at 50 mph for 100 yards till he flat ran out of blood.

IMG-202111010-142852.jpg

Ok, I'll jump in.
I know a guy that got shot in the head with a 45 auto ( long story why )
At under 2 feet.
The bullet went in just under his forehead hairline and did not penetrate his skull.
It followed the skin and came out his neck, one lucky guy.

I just shot an antelope at 388 yards walking sideways to me.
I was using a 200 gr Barnes TSX that started at 3200 fps.
Went in just behind the onside shoulder went through both lungs, destroying them both, took the top off the heart and out the other side making a silver dollar-sized hole, ribs made no deflection. You could have run a fence post through in the wound path. He still ran at 50 mph for 100 yards till he flat ran out of blood.

IMG-202111010-142852.jpg
Well, that is just plain weird. A 200 gr bullet couldn't knock over an antelope.

Back