Ribeye of the Sky

Ovis

For the past two months all I have heard from a buddy of mine who hunts North Dakota for Sandhill Cranes how tastey these birds are. I've never been waterfowl hunting, and really know zilch about it, but that didn't mean I couldn't razz him about how full of it he was.

Anyhow, last night he grilled up some crane breast and goodness gracious, this is some awesome stuff. The texture and taste of the meat resembled more of a fine steak, as opposed to fowl. Had I not known what I was eating, I woulda never known. The stuff is fabulous!! He says they call it the Ribeye of the Sky.

For those of you who keep this well kept secret to yourselves and can enjoy the sport and tablefare, I am envious.

For those of you who can legally hunt these birds and you don't, you don't know what your missing.

I just checked out the regs in Alaska and in Idaho, and all I can say is when I end up back in Alaska....watch out Sandhills.

not only do we not have a season in florida but they are protected waterfowl here

I would be willing to give it a try..Hell I'll eat ALMOST anything once
drool.gif
biggrin.gif

Hunterman(Tony)

I was wondering what they were all about, there is a season here for them and I couldn't find any one including the Indians that knew much of all about what to do with one after you kill it....
Thanks..
smile.gif

Elkchaser

I think it is a well kept secret.

I understand the breast are good for grilling & sauteeing. The thighs are good for smoking, and the legs are good for nothing
smile.gif

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back