RIA vs 2.0

blackbeard

Looking into getting a 10mm. So far its between a Rock Island 1911 and S&W 2.0. Anybody have any experience with either? For under $650 seems too good to be true for a 1911, I also know that expensive doesn't always mean good either. Not sure what would be the better bet for reliability for a hunting side arm.

Can you share more details for the intended use? Those are very different guns.

Also, if looking at 1911 10mm, the EAA Girsan Hunter Model is worth a look. The longer slide will help you get more out of your 10mm and it has better sights than the RI. You’d be amazed what an extra 1.6in of barrel will get you on your FPS and energy.

Rock Island makes a good 1911. They won’t win any beauty contests, but I seldom hear of anyone having any problems with on jamming, and the triggers are not too shabby either. No experience with the 2.0.

3 friends have Rock Island 1911s in 45ACP.
All 3 have broken guide rods.
Didn't hurt the actual functionality of the gun. But...

If the same money, personally i'd get the S&W, or the EAA.

I have several 10mm. My favorite round. I personally am not a 1911 style fan. I have a few but I really don't like cocked and locked carry so simple fast DA I what I prefer. I have not shot the S & W 2.0, but my current carry gun in a Springfield XD10. Very similar. Its fast and holds more rounds than a 1911. I really like it and it shoots extremely well.

Can you share more details for the intended use? Those are very different guns.

Also, if looking at 1911 10mm, the EAA Girsan Hunter Model is worth a look. The longer slide will help you get more out of your 10mm and it has better sights than the RI. You’d be amazed what an extra 1.6in of barrel will get you on your FPS and energy.
Looking for one to stuff under the bino harness for peace of mind, 10mm will do the job for black bears and mountain lions and I get an excuse to buy a gun

I got the S&W this summer for under my bino harness. I was between the S&W and a Kimber 1911, but ultimately the grip safety on the 1911 (and XD/XD-M) was a turn-off with my Marsupial holster, as I believe the retention strap would deactivate the safety. I also like that the S&W is offered with a thumb safety. I've been extremely happy with shooting it - recoil is very manageable, accuracy has been great, and I haven't had a single failure in a few hundred rounds.

personally I don't think there is a bit of difference between 9mm,40S&W, 10mm and 45acp for the average shooter use for bear defense (my opinion is bear spray and save the weight). Panic shooting at a moving target maybe having slightly less recoil in a smaller package is worth more the perceived knockdown power.

That being said I would never, never, never discourage anyone from getting another gun. S&W would probably be my choice BUT a Glock 29 compact might ride a bit better

How about this?

I got the S&W this summer for under my bino harness. I was between the S&W and a Kimber 1911, but ultimately the grip safety on the 1911 (and XD/XD-M) was a turn-off with my Marsupial holster, as I believe the retention strap would deactivate the safety. I also like that the S&W is offered with a thumb safety. I've been extremely happy with shooting it - recoil is very manageable, accuracy has been great, and I haven't had a single failure in a few hundred rounds.
I never thought of the grip safety maybe getting deactivated by that, thanks

Looking into getting a 10mm. So far its between a Rock Island 1911 and S&W 2.0. Anybody have any experience with either? For under $650 seems too good to be true for a 1911, I also know that expensive doesn't always mean good either. Not sure what would be the better bet for reliability for a hunting side arm.
just bought the 2.0 and LOVE it

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back