Review: Grinnell: America's Environmental Pioneer..

406LIFE

This one just released and may be the definitive biography of George Bird Grinnell. If you've read and enjoyed Last Stand, this will be a great supplement. If you've never heard of Grinnell or his importance to American Conservation, this will give you a thorough education.

What makes this volume unique is the author's use of previously bunonown and unpublished letters, memoirs, and other notes that were researched from dusty sources. There is some very interesting insight from Grinnell's mind on the why behind how he doggedly pursued protecting our natural resources.

Why you need to know more about Grinnell:

1. He is probably the push that made TR into the giant he was. (Without Grinnell, it isn't impossible to think TR would not have hard the foresight he did.)
2. Founder of many great movements and clubs including the Boone and Crockett Club and Audubon Societies.
3. Pretty much singlehandedly saved Yellowstone National Park and Glacier National Park.
4. Defined what a sportsman is for then and now.
5. Set the stage for conservation as a national topic and defined it from a hunters perspective.

Grinnell battles TR for my conservation hero. He did the hard work required and had an unquenchable passion. He was selfmade and self-styled. There was never a question of his authenticity. He may not have been the celebrated hunter TR was, bit he certainly had his trips; who else can say they hunted sheep and goats in what is now Galcier park?

Grinnell: America's Environmental Pioneer and His Restless Drive to Save the West https://www.amazon.com/dp/1631490133/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qwbBDbTZ2P613

Last edited:
Is he who Grinnell glacier in Glacier National Park is named after?

Glad to hear it’s on Audible. That’s the only way I get to enjoy books these days.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back