Retirement gift ideas

I like the idea of a bucket list type of hunting or fishing trip, if it's within the budget. Obviously he's already got guns, but is there a certain caliber or type of gun he has always wanted. If he likes lever actions, a Henry Golden Boy with an engraving. A custom rifle, an old collector rifle, etc. I have a good friend who recently retired and a few years ago his 243 was stolen, so we got him a Browning X-bolt White Gold Medallion in 243.

He does like old lever actions with the big hoop. May have to put one of those together, and maybe a trip to the keys fishing tarpon.

When my folks moved into their house in 1980 the garage was in pretty bad shape. The old man kept it cobbled together and standing for another 30 years, so when he finally getting serious about retirement Mom, my sister, and I planned and schemed on a new garage. The old man had no clue, he and mom went away for a weekend, my crew and I moved in, emptied it out, and they came home Sunday afternoon to me dropping the final bucket of demo into the back of a dump truck.

Spent 2 weeks building that garage, it's a two car, two story affair with a gambrel roof. He still laughs about coming home to a hole in the ground where his garage used to be. But as much as he likes his garage, he liked working (ish in his case) with his kid for two weeks even more. The "gift" won't matter as much as the time you, your siblings, and the rest of the gang spend with him in retirement. I second the motion to take him on a trip, just you and your siblings.

I lost my dad nearly 12 years ago. One thing that's stuck with me from that is that we talked about the things/experiences we had together, not at all about the things we had. So, I vote trip with him!

As was mentioned above I think that a trip-----hunting or other------somewhere special to him WITH you (the kids) would be really meaningful. I am retired at a pretty early age (50) but even now I am missing what seemed to be the little time I have had with my kids in the field. The HP is now 16 and, although she loves to shoot, has gotten into girly, dancy things that take up what time she has outside of school. She still has me getting her points so there is hope for the future. The boy is now in his last year of grad school in IN. He doesn't have any free time during big game hunting season but, again, I am still getting him points too. My "bucket" hunt is moose but is would mean so much more if it could end up being with them :)

Having been on both sides of this issue---both the giving and receiving part ----I agree with the above, but would like to expand a bit

If he loves to hunt and fish, of course the first thought would be to "give him" a VERY special hunting or fishing trip. And as posted above, the trip would be even more special if his children went with him. They dont even have to hunt or fish to be on the trip with him. A lot of memories are made around the campfire.

However having stated the obvious ( hunting and fishing ), you might be surprised if you had a relaxing conversation about the "dreams", he has dreamed. We hunted, a lot, and without a doubt I enjoyed it, but some of our time hunting was because it was what my husband wanted to do. After he passed, my grandchildren were surprised, perhaps shocked, when I bought a sailboat and lived on it.

Maybe, there is something he has always wanted to do, but for one reason or another it just never happened . THIS would be the time for it to happen.

Also, if I was able to take another trip---- anywhere, doing anything, it would include some combination of children, grandchildren and/or great grandchildren.

I wish him well on his "special" retirement gift and in his retirement.

Trial 153. My husband had a card that said. God took a rib from Adam and made a megaphone

fisher kid, I dont know if your still thinking about this or have already made your decision, but the above post from April, hit home so thought I would share this with you

A very good friend and mentor decided to retire a few years ago and everyones first rect was to get him a specific gun or something for this cabin or plane. We spent an evening talking to him and more important, listening to him. We had seen books and other things around over the years and knew he had a interest in Greek Mythology, but never thought much about it. It turns out that the one itch he had never scratched was to visit Greece. We bought him a round trip ticket to Athens and Crete, ( air and hotels ). I will never forget his gratitude before going and his appreciation upon returning. We have heard about that trip more often than the many hunting trips he had been on in his life. However. he also might like a trip to Africa but wanted to share this with you

trail153 and April. I resemble those remarks;)

We were starting to think a tarpon fishing trip to key west, or something of the sort. Since tickets are very cheap at the moment.
I asked him today what he thought and he didnt seem to have a preference. I think he doesnt want to have to tell his wife hes going fishing lol

Lots of great ideas in the list. I'll add a nice .22 to the list. Every time I go to the range a .22 goes with me. I put more rounds through it, and enjoy it as much as anything I shoot. I recently bought a S&W 2206 (not a gift unfortunately). These are no longer made, but are available on auction sites. There are many other nice .22's out there as well. He will think about his family whenever he uses it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back