Retirement gift ideas

Fisherkid1

So my old man has been a construction worker(Laborer/concrete finisher) for 30 years and hes pulling the pin on retirement in June.
Hes moving from the midwest to Angel Fire NM. (New wifes non negotiable)
Hes always hunted, around the house, been to Alaska, Co, Wy, Canada. You name it.
My siblings and i cant really turn up a good gift or trip for him since he has it all and done it all.
So i turn to you guys for ideas that seem plausable. He hasnt been very lucky lately so i prolly wont send him skydiving or get him a puppy.
But any and all suggestions are welcome!
Thanks guys

All hunters have a “unicorn” type hunt, one that haunts them in their dreams and daydreams. Finding this out would be key in my opinion. Next would be a price ceiling, hunts could be had for certain species and locations for anything from $1000 to $100,000 and up. If mountain sheep is the dream, a Dall Sheep Hunt in Alaska will set you back $20K, but if a hog hunt is what he’d like, I bet you could get a good deal in Texas, maybe even guided for $1200. International hunts may be less or more expensive depending on species, but travel costs will increase that hunt cost exponentially.

Having said all that, my wife cannot afford my “unicorn” hunt. Anything she would get me would be an epic gift.

Well if he’s work that hard all his life, obviously squeezed his nickels, took care of you kids, I’d say a Unicorn hunt as well. Africa, Ak peninsula for spring Bear, those kind of things.
My guys/gals commissioned a very nice fly rod for me. Pretty sweet deal.

That is a tough trade! My dad did construction into his 60’s and couldn’t walk the mountains when he retired. Back then there weren’t so many custom lightweight tack driver rifles available. Today I would have considered buying him something like that if it extended our time together hunting. Hell, even if he sat in camp with it...

That is a great looking knife. I’ve been guiding in Alaska for 20 Years and have semi retired from guiding upland hunts as my dogs and I are late middle age. In all those venues there have been retirement trips. All were successful.
Far and away the fishing trips were the most enjoyable to guide and in my opinion the recipients have enjoyed the most, particularly if those Providing the trip come with. Never seen a trip like that not be a great time.
Regardless, Kudos for doing it right.

I like the hunting/fishing trip idea, if finances allow. Many options out there that don't completely break the bank. Deer hunt/fishing combo on Kodiak is a great time, Africa plains game. OIL fishing trip like Patagonia, Iceland, New Zealand, are other possibilities

If you go trip - I suggest you consider making it a trip with the "kids". Just you and your siblings. No spouses, no grandkids. As folks get older we better realize that making memories with those you care about most is more important than things (or trips alone).

Last edited:
I love that Angel Fire country. I think if he is in good shape he could do well on elk in the local unit. I kinda liked the whole Taos area vibe.

I'd say what he might appreciate most is time with his kids and grand kids. Have a big retirement party for him in his new home and make sure to take lots of pictures of all his friends and family. Hire a photographer and put together a book.

Have a big group picture, have everyone sign the Mat. Celebrate the START of something new rather than the End of a career.

There’s a company that specializes in outdoor collages. They seem to blend various photos together. That could be really cool.
Also came across an artist a while back that brought the top 3 bucks of a hunters career back to life in a painting. The bucks were in a bachelor group in an area where they’d been killed. Really cool.

I know you said he has everything, but a custom rifle with some engraving honoring him would be sweet.

Good idea. Actually anything cool like a hunting knife, firearm, bow or fishing rod with something engraved commemorating his retirement.

As was mentioned above I think that a trip-----hunting or other------somewhere special to him WITH you (the kids) would be really meaningful. I am retired at a pretty early age (50) but even now I am missing what seemed to be the little time I have had with my kids in the field. The HP is now 16 and, although she loves to shoot, has gotten into girly, dancy things that take up what time she has outside of school. She still has me getting her points so there is hope for the future. The boy is now in his last year of grad school in IN. He doesn't have any free time during big game hunting season but, again, I am still getting him points too. My "bucket" hunt is moose but is would mean so much more if it could end up being with them :)

I like the idea of a bucket list type of hunting or fishing trip, if it's within the budget. Obviously he's already got guns, but is there a certain caliber or type of gun he has always wanted. If he likes lever actions, a Henry Golden Boy with an engraving. A custom rifle, an old collector rifle, etc. I have a good friend who recently retired and a few years ago his 243 was stolen, so we got him a Browning X-bolt White Gold Medallion in 243.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back