Reservations Needed?

EastTNHunter

So my daughter drew her unit 18 tag, but as I’ve mentioned before we are planning on doing more than just hunting. Planning on hitting Mt Rushmore, Spearfish, and devil’s tower on the way in, then heading over to Thermopolis and the Dino museum before heading to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Wanting to be able to take our time and not have to worry about a schedule (I live by a schedule every day… I need to get away from that), but I’m also worried about not being able to find lodging. Is this a concern or should I be fine without reservations for every night?

This year I think reservations would be highly advised, especially for Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Jackson. The later in the year you go, the better your chances, but many of the Western national parks broke monthly visitation records in May.

Check the National park websites for each park. We’re headed to Rocky Mountain national park and needed a “reservation” to enter the park. And they sold out fast sadly

Hmmm. My job won’t allow me to get out there before the first week of October, so I may need to reconsider a few things on my timing.

Darn schedules! I can’t escape them

Hmmm. My job won’t allow me to get out there before the first week of October, so I may need to reconsider a few things on my timing.

Darn schedules! I can’t escape them
I would just swap trip order. Start in yellowstone and work backwards if possible. Early october is little safer but by mid month storms will close roads sometimes for hours-days.

Plus give you some flexability if weather is crap, go to plan B

Not sure your daughters age. The Country inn and Suites in Rapid City has an indoor water slide. My kids loved it.

Just a note, some hotels in Jackson have hunter rates, ask about that.
I would also say do Yellowstone first then get your hunt in.

Making reservations is the smart move. Most reservations can be cancelled if necessary. I have had a few times when I did not make reservations and was left out in the cold (literally).

You should really see when Yellowstone closes for the season and start there. We were there in 2019 the last week of September first week of October and I believe it was the last week for it to be open till snowmobiling started. A lot of the restaurant were already closed and it was still hard to find places to stay. I believe they keep the road through Lamar valley open from the north enterance to silver gate MT but the the bear tooth pass is normally closed by then. When we were there Dunn raven pass was normally closed in the mornings and open by the afternoon.

But if you ask me it was a great time to go there a lot less people we had a few days of snow nothing big 2 to 4 inches but still seen grizzlies and black bears along with all the other animals that dont hibernate. We started in Jackson and went north but being your a little later I would try to start north and go south. I would start looking at a map and calling the park and seeing if the road south out of Gardner at the north entrance is normally open and go from there.

Great info, guys! I really appreciate it.

The unit that she drew is not a “typical” antelope unit, so don’t know what to expect, but I’m hoping that crowds are low there late in the season. We’re going more for the experience regardless. She’s more excited about Yellowstone than anything, followed by Devils Tower, then the Dino museum. I’m more looking forward to the Tetons, and based on input from here, the Pizza Barn :p. Antelope hunting will only be part of the experience.

If you're thinking about Yellowstone and want to stay in the park, you need to start planning now ... and you'll be shocked at the prices for the limited lodging that's still available. Another option is to consider staying outside the park (West Yellowstone, Gardiner, etc. -- Cody's a little far). As already noted, options will be limited by October 1st in the park, but it's a great time to visit.

I was planning on staying outside the park. Was thinking Jackson or Cody, only because I don’t know any better. Cody should be cheaper and less crowded, from what I understand

I was planning on staying outside the park. Was thinking Jackson or Cody, only because I don’t know any better. Cody should be cheaper and less crowded, from what I understand
Cody is A LOT cheaper than jackson, park will be almost shut down for most part(hotels/gas stations/gift shops) very limited! Gates will be open but dont count on services other than plows and road work, honestly best time to go i think. Pack a lunch/snacks and drinks before you go in and make sure to top off fuel. Bring your bugle tube and have some fun with them...

Added: many times gates arent even manned depending on day/time

I do not believe bugling and cow calling elk in Yellowstone is legal. Might want to check on that before doing it.

ClearCreek
I looked it up...your right, guess i shouldn't do that anymore...lol. NO CALLS! Thanks CC

It would be a lot of driving from jackson up to yellowstone if you wanted to spend more time there than teton. I would look at the town of west yellowstone for the days your going to spend in yellowstone then maybe spend a night or two in Jackson. we have stayed in west Yellowstone around that time of year plenty of restaurant and places to stay and its right at the west entrance.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back