Researching roadless/atv trackless areas?

Coming from someone who has conducted off road surveys, usually half of the trails out there being created or used are not official or sanctioned. So usually not mapped. The Fed land managers don't have anywhere near the budget or personnel to keep track of new trails being created or enforcing closures. It usually only takes two or three folks to make something look like a road/trail in the arid portions of the west. I've seen magnesium sprayed on sandy spiderweb roads here in the Southwest to change the color and encourage folks to use the main trails.

As for a solution, spend time scouting in person and get a feel for it? I just got a free ATV from in laws that had needed some love after having someone blast past me as I was hiking 1.5 hours up to the top of a ATV track to scout. It was nicer to ride that to the end of the track then really hike in on my next scouting mission.

I will second this comment. I used MVUM data from the Carson Forest to locate roadless areas in GMU51 only to hike back in those areas and discovers trails were every where. Ended up switching areas to get away from the grouse hunters, off-roaders, and people randomly shooting high-power rifles. Basically, all that to say the MVUM is a good place to start but not the total story. Sometimes just on the ground knowledge of the area is the only way to know those true roadless areas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back