Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Reputable and Disreputable Online Retailers

i hear you hank4elkā€¦living in NM does have its challenges!! Maybe even more so in a place named Pie Town than here in Farmington šŸ˜‚. Just kiddingā€¦in my 50+ years in NM, Iā€™ve driven all around Pie Town, but never through it. Beautiful area and great elk country!

Back to the subject, it seems to me that the larger any organization becomes, the less capable they are to provide customer service. I think that generally holds true in business as well as government. i guess maybe because the customers they service are each very unique individuals, not a ā€œcustomer baseā€œ for which ā€œOne size fits allā€.

You can obviously see the difference in dealing with East Main Trade here vs. Sportsmanā€™s Warehouse. And as previously posted, there are good online outlets as well. An example that jumps to mind is Hammer Bullets.
Of course I'm difficult due to one address in a zip where I live and can't get mail and a PO box in another zip code where I get mail/billing address.

Modern now a-go-go world in a dirt road reality, without reliable interwebs catching me. LOL

A high school buddy of mine is a manager at Reeds. They do a good job.

Scheels does an awesome job. Push the "Order" button run to the door to see if you can beat them delivering it.

Midway and Sierra are also good. Camofire most of the time.
Many orders through Reeds sent to WA, including firearms. Always top notch!!!

You all know I work at Scheels and I am glad to hear folks are getting the service we strive for. I am also another one with good things to say about Reed's. I have not ordered from them but have had to price match (we will price match anyone that has the same product in stock) quite a few guns from them and it looks like they take care of their customers.

On a local level here in the Springs I frequent Shootin Den on Fillmore.....Tracy and Laura are great people and through their distributor they have really good prices. Also, they have a large consignment selection with always something cool to peruse.

Iā€™ve had good luck with most, same as most others have mentioned (midway, Natchez, blackovis, Sierra, etcā€¦. But I couldnā€™t agree more with the OPā€™s thoughts on optics planet. Iā€™ve had orders from them in the past with no issues, but the few times Iā€™ve tried them within the last couple of years they have been horribly unreliable. Iā€™ll probably never bother ordering from there again. Too many other good options.

I've had god luck with Optics planet but it is items I've bought off the Bay. Maybe I have been lucky. Sportsmens Supply sent me a Weatherby Vanguard that was partially advertised as a Mark V. Never bothered to apologize and the feeble note they added to the description really didnt do any justice to it. Why not pull the ad and correct it? What I am learning is the big volume sellers on GB maybe not always be on top of their ads. Bought 500 once fired same head stamp 308 brass from a well known company that was really 65/25/10 head stamps. If in doubt, ask them before punching the button.

Im finding the stuff Im buying at this point is coming from smaller specialized retailers and direct from manufacturers more than big box retailers Like Cabelas or BPS Or Sportsman. 20 years ago I think I had a weekly stock order from Cabelas. I cant remember the last order from them.
If your a big guy and cant buy your size at most places then Big Camo is about the best source I have found for oversized clothing.

Bro-smells (Brownells) is usually good but the recently perturbed by sending back ordered item to the wrong address after they specifically asked where I wanted it mailed to, and me specifically telling them which address. Luckily they sent to it my parents place instead of my new address, but still annoying.

AvidMax has been very good, haven't seen anyone mention fishing stuff.

Scheels is good, usually don't find great deals there but they seem to pretty squared away company.

Two questions:
1. Has anyone heard about a release date in the US for the new 2021 (now 2022) Tikka models?
2. Related to this thread, had anyone successfully backordered rifles from Eurooptic or Scopelist? I've assumed they are one in the same but could be wrong.
Cheers.

I won't go into the particulars of each just the good guys and the bad guys by personal experience.

Bad Guys:
Midway
Bass Ho
Cabellas
Optics planet
Ecop from flea bay
McMillan
Sportsmans Warehouse

Good Guys:
Midsouth
Everglades
Hammer
Solar Tactical
Boyds
Leupold
Ruger
Hornady
RCBS

On the fence:
Shaw
Reconyx
AA optics (Vortex)

Of course I'm difficult due to one address in a zip where I live and can't get mail and a PO box in another zip code where I get mail/billing address.

Modern now a-go-go world in a dirt road reality, without reliable interwebs catching me. LOL
We fight the same issues. Our physical address is in a DIFFERENT COUNTY than the written address. We are so remote that mail comes on Tuesdays and Fridays only and by contract carrier that has no reponsibilty to actually deliver the mail to the correct row of rural boxes.

I recently ordered replacement action anchor screws and scope relief safety for my Sprinfield rifle from SARCO Inc and after some delay in customs came through in timely fashion. Same with scope rail from CCOP ordered and shipped same day as SARCO stuff but somehow arrived weeks earlier. I ordered my Warne QD rings from Canada Brass (in BC I think). Paid a little more but avoided the customs hassles and they arrived three days after ordered! Midway has been great to deal with for gun parts. Not to be confused with Midwest Gun Parts. Jerks. Three weeks ago I phone ordered a replacement front sight from Williams Company in Michigan. Supposedly in stock but still not shipped or debited to my VISA. I have called once and got reassurances but still nothing in the mail. So far I have had good luck ordering parts off ebay.

Thanks for the tip about Reeds in MN. They would be close to me.

Last edited:

Feel your pain. My mailing address is also different county. Every dumass agency wants to "correct" my documentation since they don't think I know what county I actually live inšŸ¤¬. Motor vehicle seems to be "fixed" but I have to watch the renewals constantly.

No problems for me on recent orders-Good:
Midsouth
Grafs
Natchez
Bruno's
Powder Valley
Precision Reloading
Blue Collar Reloading
Euro Optics
Hammer Bullets
Shooter Pro Shop

OK:
Midway-pick your poison on product and pricing but was shipped and received.

Scammers:
Anyone that does NOT take a CC, be SMART!
All primers in stock. REALLY?
Ten posts and have what you are looking for at PP FF. REALLY?

DON'T LET YOUR DESPERATION OVER RIDE COMMON SENSE ON LINE.

Reputable: Lowa's!
Sent boots in for resoling ...to Germany. Worn just about every day for 2 years,no treatment or babying. $125. 3 month wait.
I talk to gal from Lowa USA and she tells me what they will do and I mention having another pair of Lowa's and was looking at another to fill in between. She notices the size of my boots and suggests a slight change in size as they are running larger and might be an issue.
We talk boots,hiking,hunting and NM. She assures me my boots will be safe. She has my address...

I send them in in Jan. and buy the uninsulated Tibets from REI and the REI gal concurs with what the Lowa USA gal says,get half size smaller as they are running larger and can be switched if they don't fit.
The Tibets fit perfect,half size smaller. Larger toe box. But fit great.

Got an e-mail notice my Camino's are on their way back. They show up at the gate 2 days later.
New soles, new rands all around, new insoles, new laces. Leather reconditioned.
New broke in boots.

Now I am owner of 3 pairs of Lowa's and could not be more pleased.

Reputable: Lowa's!
Sent boots in for resoling ...to Germany. Worn just about every day for 2 years,no treatment or babying. $125. 3 month wait.
I talk to gal from Lowa USA and she tells me what they will do and I mention having another pair of Lowa's and was looking at another to fill in between. She notices the size of my boots and suggests a slight change in size as they are running larger and might be an issue.
We talk boots,hiking,hunting and NM. She assures me my boots will be safe. She has my address...

I send them in in Jan. and buy the uninsulated Tibets from REI and the REI gal concurs with what the Lowa USA gal says,get half size smaller as they are running larger and can be switched if they don't fit.
The Tibets fit perfect,half size smaller. Larger toe box. But fit great.

Got an e-mail notice my Camino's are on their way back. They show up at the gate 2 days later.
New soles, new rands all around, new insoles, new laces. Leather reconditioned.
New broke in boots.

Now I am owner of 3 pairs of Lowa's and could not be more pleased.
I never heard of lowas I don't think. I have sensitive feet and have run the gammit from cheap to crazy price boots. I'm going to try them. Thanks for the tip

I never heard of lowas I don't think. I have sensitive feet and have run the gammit from cheap to crazy price boots. I'm going to try them. Thanks for the tip
Got my 1st pair of Lowa's in 1967. Wore them out hiking the JMT & PCT. Had another pair for climbing/winter.
Wore danners @ work for 30+ years. Went thru 2 pairs of Meindels.

Got the Tibet superwarms 5 years ago. Excellent boot.
Warmer than my Kenetrek Grizzly pacs,which I swear by, but only wear working now. Or real wet snows.
Got the Camino's and then I threw out 2 pairs of Danners I had for 25+ years.
Oh and 2 pairs of Merrills... Gave them to neighbor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back