Replacing stock on winchester model 70

bucky1

OK, a few years back i had my model 70 stolen, and then recovered by the cops, however, the thieves took the liberty to make it into a pistol gripped 7mm mag! Honest! i'll post pics tomorrow! This brings me to looking to replace the stock. Initially was thinking of a bell and carlson, but was also looking through cabelas and found the Hogue overmodeled. My eyes were drawn to the green ghillie coloration perhaps! Anyone have any good or bad experience with this or any other replacement stock that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?!?!

The Howa Ranch Rifles are coming with the Hogue Stocks. That is the only Syn. Stocked rifle I own, so limited experience here. I like it better than I thought I would.

But there are better gun guys here than me....

here is the picture

here is the pic of the rifle after the cops got it back to me!

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 4,242
...guy in the middle is your culprit.

Schools-out-our-gang-1930.jpg

I only have a Hogue on a Mini-14. It works well for that application, but I did notice that the stock tends to hold onto the fine dust prevalent in AZ and NM deserts.

I have used Bell & Carlson, HS Precision and MacMillan stocks. More Bell and Calrson that any others. They have worked well, particularly when you compare the prices.

maybe it fell off during a hasty escape?

go with a laminate replacement.

For a synthetic - Bell and Carlson. If you want wood, Richards Microfit.

Ruger is using the Hogue on some of their rifles, and they are attracting a following, but they don't feel right to me.

BWAHAHAHA That is one mean looking pistol. I wonder if they even thought about the eye relief of the scope when modifying your gun. I think you should keep it the way it is and try it out on some doe tags before you fix it.

Though pricey, I really like McMillan stocks. I just recieved a gun with a B&C Carbelite and while functional, it is now where near as nice as the McMillan I have. If weight is not a concern laminates work also. I have one on my Ruger 338 that's done nothing but work and hold up well.

Back