Replacing a Scion XB

Cammy

My wife LOVES her XB but it is becoming a money pit of sorts and we are in the process of finding a replacement. Looking for recommendations on a replacement. She loves the small size and visibility of the XB as well as the cargo room. The XB is fine for short drives and around town but not so much for anything over 50 miles or so.

She thinks she wants an FJ cruiser but I don't as I don't think it is the best choice for her. I like the look of the new Rav4 but have read it is under powered. 4 Runner is a bit big for her and a pickup is out of the question. Kia Soul has been nixed as she rented a Korean car once for a road trip and the seat was uncomfortable. I don't remember what Korean car/suv it was though.

I would say our list must have:
Non-domestic (I have had awesome luck with Toyota)
Cross over type
Decent visibility
Navigation
Cargo room
Comfortable seating
Decent power
Cruise control

Thoughts?

I rented a Hyundai Santa Fe a few months back and was surprised how roomy it felt. I liked the car. While I wouldn't buy one for myself, it seemed like a pretty good smaller suv. Toyota are nice and reliable, I feel the seats especially in the FJ are horrible. Granted I have not been in a newer FJ, they could have changed them since my experiences with them a few years back.

We just picked up a Nissan Rogue awd, not sure if size wise it meets the criteria. Plenty of cargo space and still easy to park, has everything on the list above. (seating comfort is different per individual) She was in an escape and the rogue is way better in the power department. Wanted to spring for a four runner but just couldn’t justify the money! Lol

I'd be checking out the new chevrolet trailblazer if I was looking for a compact SUV.

sorry - overlooked your foreign made requirement.

My wife really likes her Mazda CX5. We've had it 5 years now and it has done everything asked of it. Not as roomy as a 4Runner, but comparable to the Rav4 and CRV. We opted to get the larger engine and AWD. I believe the larger engine is now standard. There is also enough room around the tires put chains on if you need to. I feel like I've really pushed the CX5 and it consistently out preforms my expectations.

Not sure the FJ is still being manufactured. For her only, get the Highlander.

But here’s a thought. Buy her a nice 4WD 4Runner. After she drives it five years or so, you take it for your hunting vehicle. We have two in our family and they are great vehicles.

My wife has a 2012 Sante Fe. 85,000 miles. Great vis, I can lay down in the back comfortable, obviously with the back seat down. It's still quiet and the steering and suspension are tight. The V6 has a ton of power, the all wheel drive is great in snow and we get 28+ on road trips. We live back next to State forest so it's life has not been on smooth city streets (yeah, I know some city streets are worse that loggin roads). The viability was one thing that grabbed us right off, and how tight it all felt. Give one a good test ride. It replaced a 2000 Cherokee Sport and it's sooo much more car.

Not sure if you're buying new or used, but the FJ hasn't been in production for a few years last I knew.

Company rig at the last job was a 2015 Rav4, and there were weeks I'd put a thousand very uncomfortable miles on it. Had a very poor ride quality.

Mazda CX5 had a much better ride, and so did the Nissan Rogue. I'd choose either of them over a Rav4. Interior was nicer and more comfortable in both of those.

Mazda small crossovers are highly regarded, CX30, CX5. Too bad she has a preconception, the Kia Soul is a good car and a great value.

Last edited:
We traded in our Jeep Wrangler for a used Honda CRV last year. It is boringly ordinary, but I love it. Good fuel economy (27-29 highway) and with a set of Blizzaks on it will go anywhere you would want to take a car like this in the snow. We have road tripped with all five of us (cozy) and a dog. It’s been consistently rated one of the most reliable crossovers for years.

Thanks for the input. We looked at a RAV4 this weekend and she likes the car but the sticker shock is something else. She has located a couple used ones that I am sure we will be looking at. At least I talked her out of the Toyota C-HR.

We have had 2 CRVs and now a Pilot (all AWD)....probably 400,000 between the 3 without a problem. I actually think the Pilot has been too big for most of our needs (except towing 3-4 times). CRV has plenty of room for a family of 4 and those MPG numbers above are conservative real-world numbers. Highway would would get 32-32 in our last one. The only thing the Pilot has that is nice is the ability to lock into 4WD (60/40 split). I can't say enough positive thing about the CRV. If you want something smaller than that they now have the HRV, which may be mama's next car.

Mt daughter had 2010 CRV and its was good. A few little issues after 115K. We just traded it in on a Mazda CX-5. there is a reason the CX-5 is the number #1 rated SUV in virtually every category. After driving a new CRV, RAV4, Sante FE and the new Ford Focus, its not even close. The Sante Fe is really nice but a little bit bigger.

I would say our list must have:
Non-domestic (I have had awesome luck with Toyota)
Cross over type
Decent visibility
Navigation
Cargo room
Comfortable seating
Decent power
Cruise control

Thoughts?

I think you need to put your wife in a bunch of new cars, test drive them, and see what she likes best. She's obviously not a car person, so just have her pick the one that she feels comfortable driving. I think a Subaru wagon would be and good step up for her, it's not a crossover but checks every other box on your list and they are probably even better off-road than many of the crossovers you'll find. Crossovers are basically just cars pretending to be SUVs anyway...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back