MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Removing the Browning Boss

Rooster52

I have the Boss CR on my Stainless stalker and thinking of removing it .Cannot see where it does anything for accuracy.The rifle shoots great with the CR removed.
Either removing the boss completely or selling the rifle or trading for another one with out the boss is my decision. Just hard to findanother Stainless stalker in lefthand in 280 Rem. caliber without the Boss system.
To me the Boss CR is more cosmetic than functional.

You can replace the Boss with a conventional recoil replacement to quiet it down The Boss system still works with it. I did it, and it's cheaper than cutting and recrowning. The downside it that it's still about 4" long.

If the gun shoots well or has any sentimental vallue at all I would just cut and recrown. I would think that might cost less than a trade. Also the new crown may shoot better than the boss did.

If you just want an excuse for a new gun, it's as good a reason as you could have. Though, it kinda sounds like you like the gun.

Left hand Stainless stalker is hard to find. Especially in 280 with out the Boss.

I wish they made the new Xbolt in a left hand synthetic.

Last edited:
Why did you buy it with CR? ??

If it shoots great without it on, what are you asking? is it cosmetic?

Well then I will say yes.

If you're planning on selling it anyway, why not sell it with Boss and let the new owner decide?

Well that did not take long.Only told some yesterday I may sell it and just had a guy call me with an offer. SOLD !!

Last edited:
Well that did not take long.Only told some yesterday I may sell it and just had a guy call me with an offer. SOLD !!

Problem solved. Now you get to start looking for a replacement. That's a good problem to have. :D

The 280 is back home. I traded the guy that bought my 280 for my 270WSM. Do not know why he wanted my 270WSM as the 280 was a much nicer rifle.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back