PEAX Equipment

Remington or Savage?

junior88

I'm looking at possibly adding to the rifle collection. The candidates are a Remington 700 sps lefty in 300 win, or a Savage 116 weather warrior lefty also in 300 win. I'm leaning toward the savage but I like the feel of the sps stock. I'm open to all persuasive arguments. Thanks

I have multiples rifles of both brands. I've had a lot of luck with Savage rifles and find them incredibly accurate. My Savage 110 in 7mmMag shoots .47" groups when I do my part.

Remington seems to have some quality control issues lately and their trigger system has cost me an extra $125 per rifle to make them "voluntarily" safe. Both are easily modified and can have their barrels swapped with the help of barrel nut systems.

I have multiples rifles of both brands. I've had a lot of luck with Savage rifles and find them incredibly accurate. My Savage 110 in 7mmMag shoots .47" groups when I do my part.

Remington seems to have some quality control issues lately and their trigger system has cost me an extra $125 per rifle to make them "voluntarily" safe. Both are easily modified and can have their barrels swapped with the help of barrel nut systems.

I think they fixed the trigger issue with the new rifles coming out?

Post 2006 Remingtons have a lot of QC issues and the finishes on the blued SPS and express models rust pretty easily. Safe or not the X-Mark Triggers are pretty mediocre and I think they all need a Timney in them. Remingtons are nicer guns inherently and look and feel better through the bolt throw than savage. There is a big aftermarket for the Remingtons, but once you get past triggers and stocks any modifications require a lathe. Rebarrels require a lathe to headspace. The SPS stocks aren't really stiff enough to get the most of the guns, but a definitely minute of hunting accurate. SPS stocks have a good recoil pad.

Savages are better manufactured guns than Remington right now. They will never be as nice, but they do work and shoot very well. Accutrigger is pretty good, definitely better than the X-Mark but its also still the trigger on the trigger style. Savages have floating headspacing so you can rebarrel them with a vise, wrench and headspace gauge. Similarly you can swap out bolt handles or bolt bodies with hand tools. The stock isn't a lot better or worse than the Remington, its still injection molded nylon bedding blocks or not.

You couldn't give me a new model remington! pick the Savage or treat yourself and buy the best: Weatherby...

C

There is a big aftermarket for the Remingtons, but once you get past triggers and stocks any modifications require a lathe. Rebarrels require a lathe to headspace.

There are a few manufacturers out there (McGowan barrels is one that I know of) that make a barrel nut system like the Savage for Remington 700s...effectively making them pretty ugly but functional. I've considered it with a short action that desparately wants to be a 6.5mm

I have an SPS that is really accurate, but I did put a Bell and Carlson stock on it to make it a bit better. The flimsy Rem stock was OK, though and it made it lighter.

I have always been a Savage fan and that is what I would pick. I have a Savage 7mm mag that I smoke the barrel on and put a Criterion barrel in its place. That rifle is scary accurate. I recently purchased an older Savage .308 and it is quickly becoming my favorite rifle. It shoots Hornady 150 Interlocks into 1/2 moa. I killed four deer with it this week doing depredation work.

Although my SPS is accurate, I was really disappointed in the fit/finish of the rifle and overall cheap feeling. They sure aren't the Rems of old. Either will work for you, but my choice is the Savage.

Thanks for the input, you guys are great. I would even be open to buying and older 700 and putting a new stock on it, provided the action and barrel were still in good shape. All my rifles carry walnut stocks, I just want one with a synthetic stock. I really like the Hogue stock but they don't make them for lefties.

I have several of both. I personally hunt with Remington rifles for a couple reasons. But the one thing Remingtons are lacking that is standard issue on Savage rifles is a 3 position safety that locks the bolt down....

One and only complaint, which would lean me towards a Savage, Winchester, Ruger, etc over a Remington for a hunting rifle.

I'd go with a Montana Rifle Company X2 in 300 Win. It's got the best of the Winchester Model 70 and Mauser 98 all rolled into one. What's not to like!

I'm not a Remington fan( I know I'll catch hell for that) so I would go with the Savage. the ones I own all shoot very well.

go handle both of them. you will like one over the other. I just did that when buying my Howa. the Sako Finnlight was by far my favorite rifle I handled out of all the top lightweight rifles and the one I wanted the most but couldn't justify paying $1500 when I got a Howa alpine mt for almost half the price $700 on gunbroker. handle both and you will know what one to buy. I will say I own a savage 270 and I used to think their actions weren't all that great, but the way its designed is all about accuracy and they are accurate!

When I was going through college I was buying Savage rifles. They were cheap and felt cheap but they could flat out shoot some pretty good groups. I don't think you could go wrong with a Savage. Now that I've got a little more cash my most recent rifles have been Howa and Kimber.

I own and like both,but, my Savage Tactical .308 and Tactical .223 are both lights out if I do my part. The Remington's are great too though and I agree I prefer the older models. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back